How to blank a radio before selling it

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

How to blank a radio before selling it

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Folks

i have an 800mts portable that i need to completely erase out before i sell it. The radio is a mod# h01uch6pw1bn ser 466axn????. I fiddled around with the radio and got all but one trunking system erased. My question is that for me to erase that last trunking system do I need to go back and get the system key for it? All i want to do is put in a conventional 800 channel in it so that i can show that the radio powers up and transmits.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

take care
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Yes, you'll have to have the system key to "erase" that system. The catch is, you have to have one system in the radio. You can change it to system "0001" and remove everything and when you program the radio, don't point any channels to that system. I think I just confused myself...
Last edited by RESCUE161 on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Thanks!

I figured i needed the key :(>>> appreciate the info
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Not that this helps you know, but for future reference.

When I get a new radio, or radio that is not loaded that I purchased used I always save a codeplug to the computer and on disk and label as such. If I ever go to sell the radio, I pull the disk and bam, empty radio.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

FMROB wrote:Not that this helps you know, but for future reference.

When I get a new radio, or radio that is not loaded that I purchased used I always save a codeplug to the computer and on disk and label as such. If I ever go to sell the radio, I pull the disk and bam, empty radio.
Very good point. I did have all of my codeplugs saved, but only on my hard drive. Then the computer crashed and I lost everything. So the floppy disk is a "must do".
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
copcarguy

The Government..

Post by copcarguy »

The Feds just drill a 1/4 inch hole right through the center of the radio, from front to back. Bam, no more codeplug and it only takes about 2 seconds to complete!!lol :D
RKG

Post by RKG »

Even with the syskey, I don't think you'll be able to "erase" the last trunked system and personality. But you can, and should:

Change the UserID to 0001;
Change the first control channel to 851.0125 and delete the rest;
Change the Connect Tone to an incorrect one;
Change all personalities to ScanList = None and delete all scans lists but the last; that is limited to Ch. 1;
Delete all personalities but the last;
Delete all but one of the TGs defined in that personality and reset the sole member of that personality TG list to 001; and
Change the alpha of the last remaining channel to "Ch 1."

If the have the capacity, change the SysID of the last remaining trunked system to "0001."
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Easiest way to do it, in order:

1) Go to all conventional & trunking personalities, set all scan lists to "none".

2) In the Zone/Channel Assignment, add a new Zone, by default it will have a single conventional channel in it. Then delete all other zones.

3) Now that the zones are gone, create a new trunked system...by default it will have "0001" as the ID, and the single default control channel of "851.0125".

4) Create a new trunked personality, set it to reference the new 0001 system. Now delete all other trunked personalities.

5) Once only the 0001 personality remains, delete all other trunked systems.

6) Now create a new conventinal personality, it will have the default frequencies in it. Delete all others.

7) Create a new default scanlist. Delete all others.

You will now have a nearly 'factory fresh' codeplug...you can go into radio wide & button/menu settings & change them too, but it likely isn't necessary since the 'sensitive' info is now gone. I blank all my codeplugs this way before I send them to anyone, only takes a few minutes even with the most complicated ones.

Bonus points: Once the above is complete, you can also go into the "clone" menu, and enter the serial number of your choice & then save the codeplug with the new serial number. I usually put in "123wave123".

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Folks

excallent replies and step by step directions!! I hate to part with the MTS but I can put the money towards the uniden 396T that santa brought me :)

Merry Christmas to all you folks

thanks
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

Radiogeek97 wrote:Folks

excallent replies and step by step directions!! I hate to part with the MTS but I can put the money towards the uniden 396T that santa brought me :)

Merry Christmas to all you folks

thanks
WTF!!!!! Santa is charging for presents this year!!! That Fat Bastar*!!!

SG
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Yep. The SOB is making me pay for half of my new MTS2000 II!
kmoose
Batboard $upporter

Post by kmoose »

You should be able to use this to blank it:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_ ... uctID=6134

Return to “Radio Programming”