RIB to USB cable

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

911-EMT

RIB to USB cable

Post by 911-EMT »

I bought a new laptop, and I notice that the serial ports is no longer a standard option, it is replaced with usb ports, so I wonder if anybody has used a rib to usb cable, or do we need a usb to serial adapter.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

those adaptors work with most things but not for programming radios. but my new factory cable for the PR1500's is usb so it looks like Motorola might be moving ahead with new items. sorry but i hope you still have your old laptop
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Get a Serial I/O Card. I got one from Socket and it works great. It also works in DOS mode and doesn't need Windows like USB does.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

If you don't want to go the PCMCIA route, I've heard very good things about these USB adaptors:

http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

I use a usb to serial adaptor with my Dell Laptop and it works great. It works with my smartrib (RLN1015D) and also my Depot Cables for the XTS5000 and XTL5000.
Radio43
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

If you guys are going to post what kind of adapters work - lets get more specific with model numbers - and version numbers.

This is because many different cards use different serial chipsets, and one might work great - and the other may not, and they may come in the same packaging - just different versions.

So before someone just "bricks" a radio trying - be specific in what you post and recomend.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Post by RADIO43 »

The USB to Serial Cable I have been using, I got off ebay approximatley 2 years ago. The only markings on it are "CEF and a Double C at the end." I am not sure what brand it is. It does wok great though. If I can get more info on what brand it is I will.

Radio43

Return to “Radio Programming”