Programming the HT1250

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jammer

Programming the HT1250

Post by Jammer »

I posted this in the software forum but it seems like it won't get much exposure there, so I'd like to put it up here as well:

Can you use a new PC, Pentium 4 with XP, along with RSS software to program a HT1250?

I've read on another site that newer PC's are too fast to reliably read/write to a motorola radio even with slodown apps running.

Does one HAVE to use a 386 PC on Windows 95 to program radios, or specifically a HT1250?

Thanx
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

Waris series software isn't and never has been RSS (DOS based), it's CPS (Windows based). W95/98, ME, XP is what CPS is designed for.

Just a note regarding the RSS software for older radios, the later versions of the DOS based RSS software for certain model radios still in production at the time was upgraded to run with W95/98/ME and will run just fine on a Windows machine, BUT you still can't run it properly in a DOS window. It must be run in the DOS mode of the computer, OR, if the RSS Read Me file for that specific RSS tells you the procedure for running it as a "maximized - hide DOS programs from Windows" mode, you can do it that way, but there's no guarantee you won't "brick" the radio. The computer really needs to be strictly in the DOS mode.

MaraTrac software is a good example of RSS that can be run in the "hide from Windows" mode, BUT again, the computer should be strictly dedicated to programming radios. That means NO Office, NO AOL, NO yadda yadda programs that "infest" the operating systems and use Windows to control comm port options, especially insidious vomit like AOL and other similar system add-ons.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

so the Motorola Professional Radio CPS R03.00.01 software is what is needed to program this radio?

Thanx yet again
mtp2

Post by mtp2 »

Jammer wrote:
so the Motorola Professional Radio CPS R03.00.01 software is what is needed to program this radio?
Maybe the older ht1250's. The new software is something like 06.05.03.

mtp
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Whatever the radio was last programmed with sets the stage as to what
it will work with, you can go forward but not back.
VFN137
What radios do you own?: All but one

CPS Versions

Post by VFN137 »

Along the same lines, could you read a 1250 using an older CPS version then what it was last programmed with and it still work? Reason i'm asking is if I need to build a codeplug for one radio using an older software version without worrying about trying to clone it.

Hope that made sense
Meridian

Post by Meridian »

No problem running CPS on a fast PC.

Read the radio first. Then you can see what version of CPS was last used to program it. You must use the same or newer version to program it.
VFN137
What radios do you own?: All but one

Post by VFN137 »

Thanks! Thats what I was looking for.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Thanks to all! At some point in time, after I manage to get my hands on one I will try reading it with the only version I have of CPS.

First I have to get one tho :)

Thanks again for the quik responses.
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

RadioSouth wrote:Whatever the radio was last programmed with sets the stage as to what
it will work with, you can go forward but not back.
Not true! You can go back to previous CPS versions with the waris radio line. However it is best to go with the latest version, as some new functions/features may be included or bug fixes

Now Astro25 CPS for the XTS/MT/PR radios, you can NOT go back to previous versions, but the HT1250, no problem using older versions.

HT
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

ok... well I just bought a HT1250 Full Keypad w/Charger + Antenna for 232.50

If I get the RIBless programming cable, a good one claiming OEM parts and specs, should it be possible to program the radio with an available version of CPS?

[edit/mod]

Any ideas on what CPS software will support this radio?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

[mod]
I couldn't care less about most of the features, as long as I can program in the channels I want :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I guess I have most issues ironed out.

One last one though, is there anyone here who can list all the possible features that the HT is capable of so if I go the a LMR for programming I can have the things I want enabled?

Thanx
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You can read about a lot of the features in this brochure:

http://www.motorola.com/governmentanden ... ochure.pdf

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Seeing that you are obviously new at this, you may want to sit down with someone with some experience in programming radios with CPS...be it a friend or at a MSS if they will allow it. When you finally do get to the point of reading the radio, you will find out there are many, many interconnected screens that are not always obvious.

In addition, you will want to make sure that you are using a true fully packaged CPS product and not one from a questionable source. Using software from a questionable source that has unseen problems may forever corrupt your radio. Word to the wise
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Radio Programming”