MTX 8000 inhibited

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RidgeRunner

MTX 8000 inhibited

Post by RidgeRunner »

Hi, I purchased a cheap MTX 8000 that was programmed up on a local TRS well the radio appears to be inhibited it does not rx, also when I TX I just get a tone. I try loading in a known working code plug with no luck....I thought just loading the codeplug did it. Is there something else I am missing? Do I need to completly wipe this thing? Any help would be great!
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Any TRS you attempt to program the radio with will NEED a system key in order to access the frequencies, IDs and so on.

Simply entering frequencies will NOT gain you access onto any current trunked system without first being authorized PLUS having the system key needed to get in and make the necessary changes to the radio for that to take effect.

Bottom line:
Authorized user, let your admin program the radio..

Unauthorized user: BUY A SCANNER!

Simply having the proper RSS to enter conventional frequencies, PLs and so on will never get you in to make changes to any trunking systems currently programmed in the radio.

NOTE: Without an active trunked system for the radio to listen to, you will get the ever popular 'BONK' every time you key the radio, that's normal.

No ISW, No OSW, No Control channels.....NO TALKIE!

Enterprise.....One to beam up!
RidgeRunner

thanks I guess

Post by RidgeRunner »

Thanks I guess I wasnt looking for the same reply that you can find a million times on this board. Maybe I need to look some where else I was just inquiring is there something that I can do other than ship the radio off...or is what I am venturing into not allowed to be disscusssed here? Nevermind mind the primer on trs programming I am just asking what can be done by myself I am sure people here have done it.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The radio is not inhibited...if it were it would just be a brick...no tones, nothing.

So, it would appear it simply doesn't have a valid individual ID for the trunked system in question. That would explain the bonk on transmit, as the system doesn't recognize it & rejects it. It wouldn't really explain the 'no receive' part...unless we're possibly talking about a SmartZone system? Or the talkgroup numbers are incorrect.

AEC is correct though, and there's a reason why you see that type of reply a million times on the board from plenty of different members...unauthorised radios on a system will get you in trouble, plain & simple.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RKG

Post by RKG »

My guess is that the control channels have been changed or deleted.

A "bonk" on account of an invalid ID only happens after you have transmitted your ISW (you can tell by the LED that the radio is transmitting or by setting a receiver to the current control channel's input side) and it takes a while. In addition, few systems actually implement ID masking because making the database is cumbersome.

On the other hand, if the radio has not seen and synched to a valid marker stream over the control channel, it will bonk the instant you press the key.

Most radios will require a SysKey in order to change control channels.
SPEAKER MIC

Post by SPEAKER MIC »

wavetar wrote:The radio is not inhibited...if it were it would just be a brick...no tones, nothing.

So, it would appear it simply doesn't have a valid individual ID for the trunked system in question. That would explain the bonk on transmit, as the system doesn't recognize it & rejects it. It wouldn't really explain the 'no receive' part...unless we're possibly talking about a SmartZone system? Or the talkgroup numbers are incorrect.

AEC is correct though, and there's a reason why you see that type of reply a million times on the board from plenty of different members...unauthorised radios on a system will get you in trouble, plain & simple.

Todd

rather odd...

my spare mtx does the same thing...the logic board when swapped to another transmitter works just fine..

it may be a transmitter issue..

its funny like that, i had the radio set op on an outside antenna for better reception however we have a "midnight roll-over" system and control channels are changed at night...

i discovered it the hard way, i was up at the time it changed one night and thus the light went on and all was clear, the radio sent 3 bursts to the system to sync and when it did it screwed something up in the transmitter...

it does just fine on conventional but forget trunk, when i get more time, ill bench it and break out the books for a "autopsy"....
I TURN THE KNOB, THE LIGHT BLINKS AND IT BEEPS.........THATS ALL IT DOES!!!!!!
PLEASE WORK!!!..just once, thats all...

Return to “Radio Programming”