Re: Motorola Spectra Mobile RSS Question???

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

W2GLD
No Longer Registered

Post by W2GLD »

Does anyone know what the last release of the Motorola Spectra Mobile RSS was? I have R05.03.00, and I am trying to program my radio but I keep crashing the DOS 6.22 machine with weird hex errors. I can read the radio but when I try to archive and edit anything it goes haywire on me. On another note, on the display when I power up, I get "FAIL 01/02" which I know refers to the EEPROM but I do not have an archived file to overight it with and with the issues I'm having, I am not sure if that's the best thing. If anyone has a code plug for the following, I am sure that would be some help as well...

The radio is as follows:

800MHz. Motorola Specta Mobile
Model #: T45KGA5JC9AK, S/N # 604ARU0380

Feel free to e-mail me directly as well at: K8GLD@arrl.net

Thank you all in advance!

Jerry - K8GLD
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Post by kc7gr »

The last release, before Motorola completely discontinued it, was R06.05.00.

Some careful hunting in parts of the Internet best not mentioned in this forum may turn it up.

Don't forget to check your Spectras for leaky caps.

Happy searching.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
W2GLD
No Longer Registered

Post by W2GLD »

Sir, thank you for the reply. Could you please explain the "leaky caps" issue a little more??? I only plan to use the radio as a conventional 800MHz. receiver to watch the trunked data from the control channel, nothing more... Is this an issue???

Also, I am searching as suggested but still coming up short, oh well, more googling I suppose.

Thanks...

Jerry
boomboy64
What radios do you own?: XTS3000, Astro Saber III

Post by boomboy64 »

For a good primer on the leaky caps, you can either search here or try http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... -caps.html

Cheers,
Boomboy64
Alexandria, VA (ex-Winnipeg, Manitoba)
mcx1000
What radios do you own?: More than I can list

Post by mcx1000 »

kc7gr wrote:The last release, before Motorola completely discontinued it, was R06.05.00.

Some careful hunting in parts of the Internet best not mentioned in this forum may turn it up.

Don't forget to check your Spectras for leaky caps.

Happy searching.

I checked around and I came up with R06.00.05, RVN4001N as the latest revision of the Spectra RSS.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Will

Post by Will »

Last version R06.00.05 June 1993.

Back to your problems, seems you have an incomplete or corrupted copy. Lots of those 'floating around'.
W2GLD
No Longer Registered

Post by W2GLD »

Okay well there must be something else wrong here then. I am now trying to use RSS version R06.00.03 and I can read the code plug data, however when I try to do anything with it (i.e. save, modify, etc.) the RSS crashes and displayes the following:

run-time error R06003
- integer divide by 0

I received the very same message under the older RSS I was using as well. The laptop is an older IBM running dual boot "MS-DOS 6.22 & Microsoft Windows 98 SE". I have tried running the software in MS-DOS, Windows 98 DOS-MODE, and Windows 98 WINDOWS-MODE with the exact same results everytime. Is this radio trash with the "FAIL 01/02 code" thus causing my RSS software issue???

If this is the case, I need to know A.S.A.P. so I can return the radio for a refund...

Thank you all, you've been VERY helpful...

Jerry - K8GLD
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Usually the "divide by zero" error is caused when the software is trying to calculate a timing loop, and the computer is so fast, the division's denominator ends up as zero, hence the error.

The only resolution is to use a slower computer. I've had success with a Pentium 3 running at 850 MHz using MS-DOS 6.22, as well as a Pentium 1 running at 100 MHz, also using MS-DOS 6.22.

Forget about running any of these old products under ANY version of Windows. They just won't work right. You can't do it in a DOS BOX under Windows either. You MUST boot the computer to a real MS-DOS environment. You indicated you tried that. There might also be something incorrect in your CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT that's not providing the correct settings. Sometimes the RSS manual will recommend values to use.

Bob M.
W2GLD
No Longer Registered

Post by W2GLD »

Bob, thank you for the insight and I was indeed aware of the issues of running the RSS in a Windows environment however I just wanted to let everyone know that I had tried that as well...

The PC I am using is fairly older hardware, it is a IBM ThinkPad 390, with a 233 MHz. Intel Pentium II Processor, 384mb. memory, and is setup for dual booting MS-DOS 6.22 and Microsoft Windows 98 SE

I can program MT2000, HT1000, Maxtrac, Visar, HT600, etc. with the installed RSS in this unit, however this is the first time I have run into a unit that I am experiancing these errors.

The RSS, version R06.00.05 I have was NOT installed from the original installation floppys, it was copied to the system via floppies as was all of the other MS-DOS based RSS I have. Perhaps it again is a corrupted copy???

Does anyone have the file with the recommended setting for the Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files you spoke of???

Thank you again for the comments, I am beginning to get really frustrated with this unit...

Jerry - K8GLD
mcx1000
What radios do you own?: More than I can list

Post by mcx1000 »

gdubzakjr wrote: Thank you again for the comments, I am beginning to get really frustrated with this unit...

Jerry - K8GLD

Then just return it to the seller and be done with it.

Problem solved.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The following file contents work for my MS-DOS 6.22 and 7.0 systems:

CONFIG.SYS:
buffers=10,0
files=20
FCBS=4,0
break=on
shell=\command.com /p /e:512
stacks=0,0
switches=/f

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
prompt $l$p$g

Bob M.
W2GLD
No Longer Registered

Post by W2GLD »

Bob,

Thanks for this information, I have given it a try but it ends up with the same results... I agree, perhaps it's a radio issue and I should just send it back... It's a shame too, anyone else have an 800MHz. radio that I can use as a trunker receiver???

Thanks,

Jerry - K8GLD
Jongage
What radios do you own?: Alot of old Motorolas

Post by Jongage »

I have had several problems programming the spectras using the 6.00 RSS. I filally resolved the issue by reinstalling the RSS from the original disks (not just copying the files right over) I am not sure if this helps, if you need and more information send me a PM.. =)

-Jon Gage
W2GLD
No Longer Registered

Post by W2GLD »

The issue is resolved, it was a code plug issue and a new one from the factory was loaded and all is corrected. Thanks...

Jerry

Return to “Radio Programming”