OT: Vertex FTL-1/2/7011 programming with a Polaris RIB

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

OT: Vertex FTL-1/2/7011 programming with a Polaris RIB

Post by Johnny Grep »

Hi there,

I have a Polaris RIB and would like to program a Vertex FTL-2011/7011 99ch mobile. I've seen the pinouts for the RIB-to-Vertex cable on Batlabs, but I'm not sure they would work with a Polaris RIB. Does anyone know how to wire them up?

Thanks
Will

Re: OT: Vertex FTL-1/2/7011 programming with a Polaris RIB

Post by Will »

Give it a try as some Polaris RIB's should work. Remember, READ the radio several times to see if it reads the information correctly.
Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

Post by Johnny Grep »

Will wrote:Give it a try as some Polaris RIB's should work. Remember, READ the radio several times to see if it reads the information correctly.
I thought the 25-pin connector on the Polaris PA-1 was completely different than Motorola's? That's why I was asking... but I'll give it a try.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Don't forget to save an archive of the radio onto a floppy or different directory before you go modifying the radio. This way you can always restore
the radio if you butter finger the keys like the best of us do on occasion.

Jim

Johnny Grep wrote:
Will wrote:Give it a try as some Polaris RIB's should work. Remember, READ the radio several times to see if it reads the information correctly.
I thought the 25-pin connector on the Polaris PA-1 was completely different than Motorola's? That's why I was asking... but I'll give it a try.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Johnny Grep wrote:
Shouldn't be...you use the same Motorola cables to program the radios whether you use a Motorola or Polaris RIB, correct?
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Will

Post by Will »

IIRC we found an error in the cable from the RIB to the radio and had to make some changes. Then with the later VX3000 series I had to revise the wiring again.

The problem is the CLN SW pin needs + voltage thru a 4.7 K resistor. On the cable the CLN SW and CLN DATQA were tied together.
jhutch62
New User

Post by jhutch62 »

Hi all,
is there a way to convert a ribless serial programming cable made for the GM300, to work on a Vertex VX-3000? Is just a matter of rewiring the RJ45 connector or is there something else that needs to be added inline to make it work? Thanks.

Return to “Radio Programming”