MCS 2000 CPS and Windows 7

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Chrome69
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: MCS2000,XTS3000,MTX8000

MCS 2000 CPS and Windows 7

Post by Chrome69 »

Anyone try installing MCS2000 CPS v2.02 in win 7? I get a Windows NT 4.0 needed error box as i install, anyone else have this issue? Have the feeling this isn't Win 7 compatible and will have to shove it onto a XP
Jim202

Re: MCS 2000 program problem

Post by Jim202 »

I could be wrong, but I don't think the MCS software will support the Win 7 operating
system. I know you can't hardly get a new computer today that doesn't have the
Win 7 installed. You just might have to find an older computer with Win XP on it to get
it to work.

Jim

Chrome69 wrote:Anyone try installing MCS2000 CPS v2.02 in win 7? I get a Windows NT 4.0 needed error box as i install, anyone else have this issue? Have the feeling this isn't Win 7 compatible and will have to shove it onto a XP
joescanner

Re: MCS 2000 CPS and Windows 7

Post by joescanner »

If you've got one of the higher-tier loads of Win 7, run the Windows XP Mode (free download from microsoft). Pure XP in a virtual terminal.
robbip

Post by robbip »

G'day
I have found that with the 64 bit ver of Windows 7 I can run the programme quite well
There will be a message after you try to install it,but then it will reinstall automatically for you
It is very memory hungry so save your work regularlly in case of a freeze
Regards
Peter R
Regards Peter R
To ask a question is to look a fool for 5 minutes not to ask is to be a fool for life
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

joescanner wrote:If you've got one of the higher-tier loads of Win 7, run the Windows XP Mode (free download from microsoft). Pure XP in a virtual terminal.
I agree with joescanner. Running CPS in XP mode is the safest approach on Win 7. From my own experience with Win 7 64-bit, if you have a computer without a real serial port, you are going to have problems. Win 7 64-bit, even when you run CPS in compatibility mode, did not play well with CPS or USB to serial adapters. Yes, it might run - then it might not - then it freezes, etc.

But, in XP mode, you are running an XP virtual machine under Win 7 and will not have any problems - at all.
-John
jantman

Post by jantman »

FYI, the Windows license is nothing like the licenses from /\/\. It's a common misconception (probably thanks to MS), but when you buy XP it's yours. If the computer the disk came with is no longer among the living, it's perfectly legal to install Windows from that disk on another computer - or, if you want, setup a dual-boot machine with Win7 (or whatever) for general use and XP for programming.

(With a regular Windows XP CD, as long as that copy of Windows is only installed on ONE computer, it's legal. It doesn't matter what one computer it is.)

Disclaimer - this may be different with newer Windows versions - I haven't used or read the license agreement on anything newer than XP.
IC-F5061, HT1250

"close Windows and it'll open doors."
joescanner

Post by joescanner »

jantman wrote:FYI, the Windows license is nothing like the licenses from /\/\. It's a common misconception (probably thanks to MS), but when you buy XP it's yours. If the computer the disk came with is no longer among the living, it's perfectly legal to install Windows from that disk on another computer - or, if you want, setup a dual-boot machine with Win7 (or whatever) for general use and XP for programming.

(With a regular Windows XP CD, as long as that copy of Windows is only installed on ONE computer, it's legal. It doesn't matter what one computer it is.)

Disclaimer - this may be different with newer Windows versions - I haven't used or read the license agreement on anything newer than XP.
Um, no.

The Windows license agreement for OEM versions (i.e. what you get with a new computer) has always locked that specific license to operate to the first machine it is installed on. This is why it is rare to get an actual Windows disk with a new computer, instead receiving a "restore" disk (if you even get one).

Retail (i.e. $$ "box" purchases) versions are not (always) so encumbered, but you must be sure that you are only using it on one machine at a time.

However, for folks with the appropriate W7 version (professional and above? I can't remember), you can download the "Windows XP mode" virtual machine for free from M$.
jantman

Post by jantman »

joescanner wrote:
jantman wrote:(With a regular Windows XP CD, as long as that copy of Windows is only installed on ONE computer, it's legal. It doesn't matter what one computer it is.)
Um, no.

The Windows license agreement for OEM versions (i.e. what you get with a new computer) has always locked that specific license to operate to the first machine it is installed on. This is why it is rare to get an actual Windows disk with a new computer, instead receiving a "restore" disk (if you even get one).

Retail (i.e. $$ "box" purchases) versions are not (always) so encumbered, but you must be sure that you are only using it on one machine at a time.
Note I said "regular Windows XP CD", not "Dell/HP/Gateway/whoever restore CD".
IC-F5061, HT1250

"close Windows and it'll open doors."

Return to “Radio Programming”