CPS with Windows 7 - any problems?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: MT-500 with scan

CPS with Windows 7 - any problems?

Post by 123 »

I am currently running XP Pro on all my PCs and laptops. But looking at purchasing a new laptop with Windows 7 so I am wondering...

Anyone out there having problems running and or programming with any CPS versions on Windows 7?

I also would like to know if anyone is using CPS with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate & a XP lic.

Any feedback would be appreciated to help me decide what type of OS I should get.
Keep the flames to yourself.
Jim202

Re: CPS with Windows 7 - any problems?

Post by Jim202 »

123 wrote:I am currently running XP Pro on all my PCs and laptops. But looking at purchasing a new laptop with Windows 7 so I am wondering...

Anyone out there having problems running and or programming with any CPS versions on Windows 7?

I also would like to know if anyone is using CPS with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate & a XP lic.

Any feedback would be appreciated to help me decide what type of OS I should get.

I have gone out of my way to avoid Vista and Motorola software together. Some of the software has been
accepted or modified by Motorola to work with Vista, but not all of it. You would do much better to be
specific on just which family of radio your concerned about. That way you might get a more specific answer.

Jim

Post by 123 »

I am not talking about Windows Vista. My topic is about Windows 7

Post by 123 »

All current ASTRO 25 products is my only concern.
n9upw

Post by n9upw »

Running Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit) with Astro25 R14.00.00 and Astro R05.02.00 with no problems.

*Edit* - Oops, forgot to mention I'm using an OEM USB cable for my ASTRO25 radios. Again, no problems.
Last edited by n9upw on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jts203

Post by jts203 »

I'm running Astro 25 14 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it runs just fine. It just doesn't like USB programming cables. Using a USB to Serial adaptor and factory serial cables works just fine.

Post by 123 »

I have Motorola OEM
USB XTL 5000 & XTS 4000 programming cables

So that may be of some concern for me.

Anyone else having problems with the USB cables on Windows 7 ?
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

The USB cables are a problem with x64 versions of windows, for the x86 version they should work fine.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

There's no 64-bit version of the driver necessary for the USB cables available, thanks to the driver signing snafu in the 64-bit world.

Options are Win 7 64-bit and use serial cables, Win 7 Ultimate or Pro 64-bit and run the software in XP Compatibility Mode, or Win 7 32-bit.

Post by 123 »

Thanks for the info.
jchabalie
New User
What radios do you own?: CDM1250, HT1250's

Post by jchabalie »

Any idea how Motorola HT1250 CPS R06.04.00 works with Windows 7?
TheAnka

Post by TheAnka »

I just got my AstroCPS 14 today, and the OEM usb cable from Motorola. Win7 32 bit. I did get a detection and install of the modem driver for the USB when I powered the radio. I found to get the "USB" as an option in the read menu (rather than just com ports) I had to be running as an administrator (right click, run as administrator) and using compatability mode.

However, even with all that, it errors out when I try to read. I'd love to hear any pointers if anyone knows anything I could have missed in the setup. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CPS again to make sure, but so far nothing..
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

jchabalie wrote:Any idea how Motorola HT1250 CPS R06.04.00 works with Windows 7?
Confirmed not working on Win 7 Ultimate x64.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

a_j_b
What radios do you own?: HT1550XLS, CDM1550LS+, MTS2000

Post by a_j_b »

Latest version for the Pro Series (HT1250 etc) to date works, partially, on Win7 x64 for me. List view (spreadsheet) does NOT work. The option is disabled.
Public Safety & LMR RF Systems Engineer
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

ajb-

You are running R06.11.10 of HVN9025 on Windows 7, 64-bit?

I can't get this to work - did you install it specially (Compatibility mode, etc)?

Thanks!
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

Post by 123 »

Who in here is actually running radio software with Windows 7 through Windows XP virtual mode
PM me
I got a few questions
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

official windows7 support coming soon
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Post by 123 »

Will they be fully supporting 64 bit ?
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

123 wrote:Who in here is actually running radio software with Windows 7 through Windows XP virtual mode
PM me
I got a few questions
I am and will PM you.
-John

Post by 123 »

JPOPatents wrote:
123 wrote:Who in here is actually running radio software with Windows 7 through Windows XP virtual mode
PM me
I got a few questions
I am and will PM you.

Thanks for all your help via PM

Programming via USB cables on Windows 7 Pro {64 Bit} with XP virtual with no problems now thanks to you.
firefighter07
New User

Post by firefighter07 »

Alright not sure if I missed the solution but...I am attempting to program my HT1250 for the first time since I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. I have Professional Radio CPS R06.10.04 installed and it found and installed the cable driver. The software boots just fine, but when I attempt to read the device I get the following error message "Can not create unknown radio component". Anyone have any work arounds that they are aware of??
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

firefighter07 wrote:Alright not sure if I missed the solution but...I am attempting to program my HT1250 for the first time since I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. I have Professional Radio CPS R06.10.04 installed and it found and installed the cable driver. The software boots just fine, but when I attempt to read the device I get the following error message "Can not create unknown radio component". Anyone have any work arounds that they are aware of??
"Cable Driver"?? The OEM HT1250 cable is serial, so I assume you're using an aftermarket USB cable? You'll have to source a 64-bit version of the drivers, if that's the case.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
pururo
New User

Post by pururo »

I have problems trying to program my pro radio, I'm using windows 7, does anyone know a new software that runs fine with w7?
nick.dejohn
What radios do you own?: EX560-XLS CDM1550

Post by nick.dejohn »

I am having an issue with Window's 7 64 bit and APX R05. I can read and right the radio. The problem that I am having is that quite often, I am getting a "Mackinaw CPS" application is not working and it shut's down right in the middle of working on a codeplug.

Any thoughts?
Nick
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I'm using Win 7 Home premium, and I have the choice of the 64 bit option, or x86 compatibility operation, and I can switch back and forth.
I am glad this topic came up, as I am planning on installing Astro CPS for both iterations of this line, so I am glad there are no real issues to deal with.
I should be fat and happy with the XTS 3K and 5K as well as the XTL radios, and have nothing bad to not look forward to.
One issue my laptop has, is NO serial ports and limited USB ports.
I still wish I had a PCMCIA card slot as I have several of the CF cards I'd love to swap back and forth from my Toughbook.

Thanks for the heads-up on Win 7!
Cocktail
New User

Post by Cocktail »

I have to roll this thread up....

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 64 and just wanted to program three radios (2x GM380, 1x CM360). Tried some different CPS, everytime i get the error "Can not create unknown radio component". Using original RS232 cable with rib box, no USB to RS232 converter. Any ideas?

I just tried to search the board, this was the only relevant topic i found.

thank you for helping,
best regards
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Cocktail wrote:I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 64
Look into adding Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode to your Windows 7 machine. You can download both from Microsoft.com. That might solve your problem by installing your CPS on the Virtual XP machine..

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
tgo

Post by tgo »

Just discovered that my Astro (not -25) CPS (latest version-RVN-4184V) will not communicate with with my Astro VHF mobile.
Using Dell D830 portable with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit-native serial port. The old C600 with XP Pro works fine, but I hate to keep a PC for only one app. Any new developments?
firefighter07
New User

Post by firefighter07 »

Got a working solution that does not require running in any compatibiltiy modes or other methods. Using it on a HP laptop running Windows 7 64bit. First using CPS_R06.12.05. Using a ribless USB cable bought aftermarket with a driver from this website http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/; I used the fifth one down on the list "PL-2303 Windows Driver Installer". Hope this helps!!

Programming an HT1250

Return to “Radio Programming”