MCS2000 - corrupted codeplug? - why?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

MCS2000 - corrupted codeplug? - why?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have recently acquired a VHF MCS2000 with a Type 2 head.

I am using RSS version R05.07.00 which successfully read the codeplug - so no need for CPS. I am using a very early Pentium IBM Thinkpad (dated 1998) and booting straight into real DOS.

The MCS2000 had originally been programmed for a trunking system with a few conventional channels but I will be using it for conventional operation only.

I saved the original codeplug - just as well!!

I loaded around 32 conventional channels and added scanning. When I started the upload process it initially came back with an error - basically enabling scanning resulted in the trunking personalities having "???" in the scan field. I replaced this with "none" but then deleted all but one of the trunking personalities as they will not be used.

I uploaded again to the MCS2000 and everything went OK with the RSS displaying "Radio Successfully Programmed". However , the MCS2000 then displayed UNPROGRAMMED and emmitted a constant tone. I tried uploading again but still got the same result.

Did I corrupt the codeplug? If so , why?

I then uploaded the original codeplug and everything was back to normal. I added the conventional channels BUT kept the trunking personalities although removed the trunking zones. Everything seems OK. But I'm still not sure what I did wrong initially - maybe uploading with the trunking scan error corrupted the codeplug?

Any thoughts?
akardam

Re: MCS2000 - corrupted codeplug? - why?

Post by akardam »

Hit the home button or rotate the channel knob.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

So if MCS2000 displays "Unprogrammed" and emits a constant tone , I just press the Home button or rotate the channel encoder?

I did some more research and saw mention of needing a system key to remove trunking personalities..so I was thinking that might have been the problem with the codeplug. When I reloaded the original codeplug I just kept all the trunking personalities and added conventional personalities without deleting anything and all seems to be OK
MP 6.7
What radios do you own?: Spectra, Maxtracs, MT2k, GP300

Post by MP 6.7 »

My trunking MCS2000 does the same thing. I deleted all the trunking personalities before doing all my conventionals. It only does it on the initial boot up after programming...I've never had it do it except after programming. Switching modes clears it up, as you found out.

I think it has to do with having no trunking personalities in a trunking radio. It kind of freaked me out the first time it happened to me too :-P
Dale
KE7CEU
Current radios
Mobiles: 3x D43 A7 Spectras, T83 A9 Spectra, 2x KLM and 2x KLN MCS2000's, D43 Maxtrac 32ch, D35 Maxtrac 6ch modded for 896MHz receive, M33 M1225 4ch, Lowband Maratrac on 6 meters
Portables: 2x VHF GP300, VHF P110, UHF P110, VHF A7 MT2000
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Probably because when you read it the first time it was on a mode that you have since deleted. Power it up, change modes, turn scan off etc so the unprogrammed message goes away, then perform a straight read/write. When the radio powers back up, it (should) not give that error again. Then save that as your new codeplug.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
akardam

Post by akardam »

g8tzl2004 wrote:... needing a system key to remove trunking personalities..
You do not need a system key to remove trunking information from CPS, only to add and (in most cases) modify it.

Return to “Radio Programming”