Purchase Advice for XTS2500

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

speedbird727

Purchase Advice for XTS2500

Post by speedbird727 »

Hi Gang - I need to replace my HT1250 and was considering buying an XTS2500. I do not, however, know much about these radios. I'm not opposed to buying a used unit, but I have no idea what to look for.

Can the community share any potential "gotchas" that I could get burned with? I don't trust most of the eBay sales and will eventually look for a sale on one of the boards.

Thanks!
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: Purchase Advice for XTS2500

Post by bezking »

First, I would advise you to post in the For-Sale section here instead of looking on eBay for your first radio.

Here are the most common things to look out for:
  • If you find a radio with front-panel programming and trunking, and you program it with CPS newer than version 9, you lose fpp.
  • Radios with the 4-meg controllers can't have a HOST version higher than 9, but 8-meg radios can have the latest. Current is 16.
  • Radios with 123ABC serials are OK :) but you should probably have them tuned and aligned
  • If the first digit of the flashcode isn't a 4 or a 5 you can't display ID numbers on the radio's display like you can by default on the 1250
  • Interestingly, on the XTS2500, you can't change the power setting per channel like you can easily do on the 1250.
I'm sure there's tons of stuff I left out but that should get you started :)
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

any specific reason you choose that radio? You could upgrade to the ht1550 and get most options in the radio right out of the box. They're not made anymore but i'm sure you could find one NIB somewhere or even a used one since you're not opposed to a used 2500? Plus you can still use any aux options and cps from the 1250
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
speedbird727

Post by speedbird727 »

Thanks bezking & HLA for your suggestions so far.

HLA, that's a great idea about the HT1550. I was thinking that the XTS series radios would retain more of its resale value when I go to sell it someday. Your point, however, is well taken.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

HT1550 requires a special battery to FPP. XTS2500 does not. XTS2500 will require it as a flash option.
HT1550 will not let you edit channel names. XTS2500 will.

Ht1550 will probably be cheaper. But the sellers from Hong Kong have driven the price of an XTS2500 down to about $450-500. For a P25 radio that will take a licking and keep on ticking, the price can't really be beat.
Winger2002

Post by Winger2002 »

escomm wrote:For a P25 radio that will take a licking and keep on ticking, the price can't really be beat.
Seconded, XTS is a much beefier radio than a HT, better audio, better scan performance
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

I can tell you from experience that a XTS2500i (note the "i" means IP67 rated) will spend 24 hours in a ditch with 3 feet of water covering it turned on and not suffer ill effects. Not rated for that, your mileage may vary and all of the other disclamers. A lot of my portable fleet is outdoors in the rain with NO failure in 2 years.

Will a HT1250/1550 do that?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

I had a trio of 1550s before upgrading to XTS/APX. They were flaky as hell, odd scan, sounded like crap. Anything from the ASTRO25 line will blow them away.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

second that. the TX audio on a 1550 sounds like a cheap early ASTINKO hammy radio. The 2500 is a huge improvement. Superior product, FPP doesn't need a special battery, P25, way more rugged. Not to mention IMO Astro 25 CPS is much more ergonomic than Pro Series CPS.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
speedbird727

Post by speedbird727 »

Here's a follow-up question that will certainly show off how unfamiliar I am with the ASTRO 25 line. I've been reading a lot about FLASHport options and there seems to be a number of posts on various boards with conflicting information.

Would someone be willing to tell me if the statements below are correct?

The two FLASHport options required to do FPP are Q52: Federal Government FPP and Q53: FCC FPP And Radio Cloning. If you have both you can do FPP with any version of firmware and CPS. No external hardware key required. However, if your radio has only Q52 then you're limited to nothing higher than version 9 for firmware and CPS.

The Channel Announcement feature is included as part of Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation and functions on both analog and digital channels.

I appreciate any confirmations or corrections you can share!
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

speedbird727 wrote:Would someone be willing to tell me if the statements below are correct?

The two FLASHport options required to do FPP are Q52: Federal Government FPP and Q53: FCC FPP And Radio Cloning. If you have both you can do FPP with any version of firmware and CPS. No external hardware key required. However, if your radio has only Q52 then you're limited to nothing higher than version 9 for firmware and CPS.

-Correct.. Q52 + Q53 in the radio will allow use of FPP with all versions of CPS. If the radio only has Q52 in it without Q53, then using CPS above R09.01.02 will cause "FPP" to disappear from the menu items, and you will no longer be able to FPP the radio even though it still shows up as having that option.

speedbird727 wrote:The Channel Announcement feature is included as part of Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation and functions on both analog and digital channels.
-Correct, channel announcement is included with Q806. It will work with analog, digital, and trunking channels, as these are all assigned in the zone personality.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Mfire39 wrote:
speedbird727 wrote:Would someone be willing to tell me if the statements below are correct?

-Correct.. Q52 + Q53 in the radio will allow use of FPP with all versions of CPS. If the radio only has Q52 in it without Q53, then using CPS above R09.01.02 will cause "FPP" to disappear from the menu items, and you will no longer be able to FPP the radio even though it still shows up as having that option.

speedbird727 wrote:The Channel Announcement feature is included as part of Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation and functions on both analog and digital channels.
-Correct, channel announcement is included with Q806. It will work with analog, digital, and trunking channels, as these are all assigned in the zone personality.

-Marc
Channel announcement is also firmware dependent, IIRC you have to have HOST ver 9 or higher for it to work.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

MTS2000des wrote:
Channel announcement is also firmware dependent, IIRC you have to have HOST ver 9 or higher for it to work.
Channel announcement was introduced for the XTS2500 in Host R06.00.00, and in Host R04.00.00 for the XTS5000.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Don't overlook the fact that, in addition to all of the stuff described above, you need an
XTS to converse in digital, even just conventional digital in place of analog. There is more
and more P25 usage as time passes. We've just seen the first signs of a ham P25 portable
from Yaesu which may hit the market some time in 2012.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “Radio Programming”