Problems with user profiles and other technical related ?'s

General announcements and news about the forum.
alex
Administrator

Problems with user profiles and other technical related ?'s

Post by alex »

If you are having trouble with your board profile, or have other technical questions, I am avalible to help. You can PM me with your question or problem, and I'll do my best to resolve it.

If you PM a Moderator, they do not have the permissions required to go in and update, activate, or change your account. Only an administrator can.

This doesn't mean that other moderators aren't avalible for questions - just keep the technical questions regarding the board operation to myself or Bat Wing. We'll do our best to resolve your issue(s).

As always - the FAQ for PHPBB (the software this board uses) is avalible 24/7 for your reading pleasure. It can be found at:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/faq.php

Enjoy!

-Alex
arlojanis

PM help

Post by arlojanis »

My PM's stay in out box and are not sent. One person said they got an indication of a message but no message. What do I need to do different?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Hi,

I have been asked this several times actually (though never addressed at the board level!).

When you send a message it remains in your outbox until such time as the person who you sent it to reads it. During this time you can delete it. There will be no notification to the recipient that you have deleted thier PM. They will still have an email (if the recipient has it turned on) saying they have a new private message. This can't be deleted since it's an email that has already been sent.

When they do read the message, it goes into your sent box, and when that is full, the oldest message is deleted.

-Alex
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

PM's...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Alex: Now we all understand how the system woiks! Thanks.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.

P.S. Are you getting to DC, or did you already?
OX

Post by OX »

I got notified in my email that I had a Private Message. Upon checking my PM section, there was no new mail. Any ideas on this one??

Also, the board seems to randomly log me out. I only notice this as I have the background set as Black and all of a sudden the background goes White and I have to log back in.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Since the domainname is back, this isn't a problem. During the 24ish hours where the DNS was being switched, it was a slight issue with it logging you out and not tracking cookies correctly. This isn't a problem at all, just use batboard.batlabs.com address and you'll be golden.

RE: Your PM email - you got a notification that someone sent you a PM, however, between the time that you read the email and got to the board, they deleted it from their outbox which automaticly deletes your new message.

Since it can't retract the email, you get notification, but no message...

-Alex
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Everytime I post today, I get the following error:

General Error
Batwing Laboratories Forum Index » General Error
General Error

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

The posts actually go through ok, as I can re-enter the forum & see it...but why the error?

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

its not just you todd, my posts / PMs are doing the same thing, and i havent received any notifications of replies either.

wonder if the mail server is down
nitornemo

Post by nitornemo »

grem467 wrote:its not just you todd, my posts / PMs are doing the same thing, and i havent received any notifications of replies either.

Anyone get this from the main site?
BatLabs wrote: "Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
-------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.29 Server at http://www.batlabs.com Port 80
Image For That Chewy-Gooey Tasting Radio system!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I haven't had any trouble posting/pming/etc.

But, I will let Jon know about the problem next time I speak with him.

-Alex
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

nitornemo wrote:
grem467 wrote:its not just you todd, my posts / PMs are doing the same thing, and i havent received any notifications of replies either.

Anyone get this from the main site?
BatLabs wrote: "Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.
-------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.29 Server at http://www.batlabs.com Port 80
yep, got the same thing when I tried to go to the main batlabs site with Mozilla FireFox but could get there when I used Internet Exploder
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

yup same here...

batlabs.com works with no www
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
VA3XDJ
was orbit303

Post by VA3XDJ »

Could not find email template file :: topic_notify

DEBUG MODE

Line : 111
File : emailer.php

Got this while trying to reply to a post.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

orbit303 wrote:Could not find email template file :: topic_notify

DEBUG MODE

Line : 111
File : emailer.php

Got this while trying to reply to a post.
I am getting the same thing, cannot reply to PM's.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Administrator

Post by alex »

Your posts go through. You'll get no email. I'm working on the problem, but it's an elusive one. So, that person you just sent a PM to - won't get an email that they have one waiting, but will get the actual pm notify providing they have it turned on in their profile.

This is covered in another active thread.

-Alex
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I got that same message (DEBUG MODE,...) a minute ago while posting a reply to a topic in the General thread. My reply seems to have been added; I think the notification failure was only seen by me.

Bob M.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Ok.

Your all going to get errors in different places. Your posts are all going to end up on the board.

Don't post twice, just once. Check the thread after you post.

I know there are problems, and I'm working on them amoungst several other things. The problem is NOT with your computers, but with PHPBB.

There's no need to continue to provide updates on your failurs until I post that this problem is fixed.

Thanks,

Alex
motoapco25

probs

Post by motoapco25 »

i have not been able to PM anyone and my post count showed 0 ? lol
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

My post count is going backwards? WTFO

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Pruning would cause your post count to decline. And if you are getting a "DEBUG" style error, your PMs are going through.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Don't try to reset your profile!!!
I did and was locked out for a week, and had NO WAY to contact anyone about it.
Something to do with the current template errors etc....
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Max-trac wrote:Don't try to reset your profile!!!
I did and was locked out for a week, and had NO WAY to contact anyone about it.
Something to do with the current template errors etc....
Actually, when you change your email address it boots you out.

It's simply beacuse the board MUST have a valid place to email you at, and well, that doesn't work right this second - but even if you do change it, it doesn't reconfirm your email address.

I'm going to be looking into this after this other problem is delt with.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

Is the board having problems agian? I can get into every part of the board except the fore sale/trade/wanted part. I have tried to pm admin and mods but it tells me there is no such user! this is the message I get when I try to go to the sale forum

Could not obtain topic information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1030 Got error 127 from table handler

SELECT t.*, u.username, u.user_id, u2.username as user2, u2.user_id as id2, p.post_username, p2.post_username AS post_username2, p2.post_time FROM phpbb_topics t, phpbb_users u, phpbb_posts p, phpbb_posts p2, phpbb_users u2 WHERE t.forum_id = 2 AND t.topic_poster = u.user_id AND p.post_id = t.topic_first_post_id AND p2.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND u2.user_id = p2.poster_id AND t.topic_type <> 2 ORDER BY t.topic_type DESC, t.topic_last_post_id DESC LIMIT 0, 100

Line : 327
File : viewforum.php

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Fixed.
KeyMaster

Post by KeyMaster »

Who is the Webmaster, and how do I contact this person reguarding user profile problems?
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I got your PM, and I will deal with it in the order it was recieved.... patience. This isn't my full time job.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Editing in the For Sale Forum...

Post by RESCUE161 »

I know we aren't allowed to edit and I know why, but now there seems to be a new problem that I haven't seen before. I cannot post to a thread to add to my previous post. I get the following warning instead:

Information

You cannot answer your own message so a short time later to have posted it .

Please rather edit your previous message .

I can see this causing problems where if someone like me forgot to put something on my listing; I cannot add to it until someone else posts. I've been trying for 10 minutes. My original post was at 1951 and now at 2001, it still will not let me do it.

Is there a way that we could be allowed to edit our posts until someone else posts? I don't see any harm in that.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
txshooter

Re: Editing in the For Sale Forum...

Post by txshooter »

RESCUE161 wrote:Is there a way that we could be allowed to edit our posts until someone else posts? I don't see any harm in that.
This would be a great idea, and would have helped me last night as well. No matter how hard you try to review your post it is still easy to miss something.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Post by RESCUE161 »

Just tried it again and got the same results. With this problem, if you make a mistake, you're pretty much bound and have to fulfill a deal if it is not correct. What if someone posts an XTS3000 for sale and puts the price at $100.00 but meant to put $1000.00? They will not be able to edit or even add to that post until someone else posts, "I'LL TAKE IT!!!"

Then the seller looks like he is not holding up his part of the "deal". I just see potential problems with the way it is set up now.
Scott
KE4FHH
Bat2way

Post by Bat2way »

RESCUE161 wrote:What if someone posts an XTS3000 for sale and puts the price at $100.00 but meant to put $1000.00?
That's why they call it "proofreading".
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

The simplest way to get this done - just report the post, and ask the change be made. Almost any of us will take a minute or two and effect the change for you, no problem.

I understand for those of you who do sell here - it's a frustrating thing, but for the most part - it's been like this for 3 years - with minimal problems.

Let me think on this.

-Alex
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I got this same message the other day, and it was NOT on a wanted/sale posting. I had composed a message and submitted it, then went to look something up and found additional info so I decided to add to the message. I think I actually added a second post to the thread but even that was not allowed. I probably had to edit it instead.

I've also been getting similar problems when searching for stuff. I looked up something like "spectra" which gave hundreds of responses, so I narrowed it down with "spectra cap*" and it told me I was trying to search too soon after the last one.

I've also gotten a similar search too soon message just by selecting the "View Posts since last visit". I've been looking at posts like this for the past year and have only come up on this "xxxx too soon" problem since October, or whenever the last software upgrade happened.

Bob M.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Well, the search thing shouldn't be effected by this - but there is an anti-you posted too much at a given time thing (e.g. meant to cut down on way too many new topics that were duplicates that were popping up).

If I am to guess -- That's what's causing the posting issue.

You should be able to edit just about everything outside of FSWT.

I will try and create a dummy test user of the next couple of days, and do some testing.

-Alex
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I logged in, clicked "View posts since last log-in" or whatever it's called, looked at one message, went back, clicked the same "View posts...", then hit the Refresh button. I got this message:

"You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

It doesn't require logging in as a test user to do this. Unfortunately, the only way out seems to be to go view some message, THEN go back and click on "View posts..." This particular activity is definitely new in the last two months.

Bob M.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

kcbooboo wrote:I logged in, clicked "View posts since last log-in" or whatever it's called, looked at one message, went back, clicked the same "View posts...", then hit the Refresh button. I got this message:

"You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

It doesn't require logging in as a test user to do this. Unfortunately, the only way out seems to be to go view some message, THEN go back and click on "View posts..." This particular activity is definitely new in the last two months.

Bob M.
That one in particular - yes - I've seen it as well. It's a code change on either PHPBB's part or it's one of the mod's i've installed.

I use that view to read the board - it's much faster...

-alex
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Ok, I've changed a couple of settings - let's see if this is a bit more agreeable - The wait delay on answering your own thread has changed to 15 seconds (this is enough time for the server to catch up and ensure that your stuff posted).

Lets see how that works.

-alex
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds after clicking "Submit" before I get any response back from the server. I presume the longer the message typed, the longer it takes to index every word in it, so adding any other delay just makes it that much more intolerable. However I'm sure the designers of phpbb thought they knew what they were doing when they implemented the system; the rest of us are just stuck having to live with using it.

Thanks.

Bob M.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

kcbooboo wrote:Sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds after clicking "Submit" before I get any response back from the server. I presume the longer the message typed, the longer it takes to index every word in it, so adding any other delay just makes it that much more intolerable. However I'm sure the designers of phpbb thought they knew what they were doing when they implemented the system; the rest of us are just stuck having to live with using it.

Thanks.

Bob M.
Well, the index is done on the backend DB...

The delay doesn't add anything to the actual posting process. It's a delay between the time between the time a post was accepted by the system, and the time you can post a new topic or an additional reply in that topic. It's to prevent flooding and dupe topics, not hinder the time it takes you to click submit, and have a post entered in to the database.

-Alex
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter

Links don't open in a new window anymore...

Post by RESCUE161 »

Ever since the new upgrade, if you click on a link in a post, then it uses the existing window instead of opening up a new window. Is there a setting that I can change? I can always right-click and open in a new window if need be, but got use to the other way.

Thanks.
Scott
KE4FHH
Alex663

I have a negative amount of unread messages?

Post by Alex663 »

This is displayed at the top of my page---
0 new messages, -1 unread messages

I went through and deleted ALL of my messages and it still says that.....
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Re: I have a negative amount of unread messages?

Post by Jim2121 »

Alex663 wrote:This is displayed at the top of my page---
0 new messages, -1 unread messages

I went through and deleted ALL of my messages and it still says that.....
I had the samething, till I refreshed the page, which took it to zero.
that might fix it? depending on how your settings are set? if not.
post back......
Alex663

Re: Problems with user profiles and other technical related ?'s

Post by Alex663 »

I just cleared "all private data" in Firefox, still have the problem....
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

It's not something that your browser does, it's all calculated server side. I need to do an update to the software which may fix the problem. Clearing your browser or doing other such things will not fix the problem, as the pages are dynamically generated.

-Alex
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

Alex, I noticed that this topic was covered on Oct. 14, and you said it was fixed, but I've just started having a problem with it over the past two days: when I close my web browser, the board logs me out. I haven't changed anything in my browser, and am using the batboard.batlabs.com address. I know you have a lot to do, here and elsewhere, and hate to bug you with even more problems. You are doing a great job, all things considered. Thanks for all you do for the board!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

kf4sqb wrote:Alex, I noticed that this topic was covered on Oct. 14, and you said it was fixed, but I've just started having a problem with it over the past two days: when I close my web browser, the board logs me out. I haven't changed anything in my browser, and am using the batboard.batlabs.com address. I know you have a lot to do, here and elsewhere, and hate to bug you with even more problems. You are doing a great job, all things considered. Thanks for all you do for the board!
Same thing happens on my Blackberry as well, but I just deal with it.......
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Dan562
What radios do you own?: Kenwood, Yaesu, ICOM, Motorola

Problems with sending PMs

Post by Dan562 »

Happy New Year Alex,

I'm having a problem sending PMs to members. It's like I'm being blocked in the system software. Every time I attempt to send a PM message, the system aborts the recipients membership name and the information presented is as follows: No recipient defines.

Dan
alex
Administrator

Re: Problems with sending PMs

Post by alex »

Dan562 wrote:Happy New Year Alex,

I'm having a problem sending PMs to members. It's like I'm being blocked in the system software. Every time I attempt to send a PM message, the system aborts the recipients membership name and the information presented is as follows: No recipient defines.

Dan
Dan -

When you compose a new message, you need to type in the persons name, and then click "add."

If you do not click ADD, you will get that message.

Give it a shot!

-Alex
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone having problems posting messages today? Twice today I posted a message and later went back to see if there were any replies only to find out my message was not posted.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

fineshot1 wrote:Anyone having problems posting messages today? Twice today I posted a message and later went back to see if there were any replies only to find out my message was not posted.
This one above was posted ok! I've seen no probs.? you can try a test post, after its posted if you have no problems, then you can hit the blue X in your post to remove it. Jim
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel

Return to “Announcements and Forum News”