Copcarguy and daughter killed in traffic collision

General announcements and news about the forum.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Copcarguy and daughter killed in traffic collision

Post by spectragod »

I just learned that one of our members copcarguy, a friend of mine fron Michigan was killed this morning in a traffic accident along with his 6 year old daughter..... I really don't know what to say, I just talked with him 2 days ago.

The link if anyone is interested.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?secti ... id=6025681

SG
Last edited by spectragod on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

New User
What radios do you own?: M1225,F3161,F70,F5061,F33,F50V

Re: Sad news, another member passes

Post by firefighter13669 »

My prayers go out to all involved ......
KC2VHB
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

just goes to show you how life can end so quickly. last night a wrong way driver took out 3 people in a head on TC. I was on that same road (hwy 5) just 10 min before it happened.

these events remind us how truly short life is and not to sweat the small stuff and get caught up in needless drama.

I am sorry about your loss SG, did not know copcarguy, but it is always a loss for all of us when a member of our community passes on, especially under these circumstances. My thoughts are with his family.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
bilat

Post by bilat »

My prayers go out to the family. What a horrible tragedy.
tvsjr

Re: Copcarguy and daughter killed in traffic collision

Post by tvsjr »

RIP. My prayers are with the family.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

I will say that I will miss Dan's company, friendship and regular busting my balls over some of the silly $hit that we used to do. :cry:

Even though we lived hundred's of miles apart, we always made our way to police fleet expo, Dayton Hamvention, Fort Wayne hamfest etc.

As a sidenote, well before this board was in place as it is now(about 12 years ago), Dan gave me my board name, because of all the Spectra's I used to fix for him. I had thought about changing it, but after this, I think that I will keep it as it is.

The thing I find odd is that Dan alway's wore his seat belt, he was very careful and a safe driver,Something may have distracted him this morning, who know's? it really shows that life can change on us in mere seconds.

SG
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Administrator

Post by alex »

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in this tragic accident. I'm sure I've probably met him a few times at Darren's booth, it's sad to see this happen to someone who obviously knew a number of folks here.

If there's anything we can do, ask.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

alex wrote:My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved in this tragic accident. I'm sure I've probably met him a few times at Darren's booth, it's sad to see this happen to someone who obviously knew a number of folks here.

If there's anything we can do, ask.

-Alex
You indeed did meet him, he racked at my house last year and set up in my spaces. Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts.

SG

Post by KG4LHQ »

My apologies to the family and everyone involved.
chet-
New User
What radios do you own?: Astros 3K, Sabers

Post by chet- »

Please pass my prayer onto his family.

Chet
Will

Post by Will »

Very, very sad.. I read the story and comments/posts there and came to tears..

My prayers go out to Dan and Emily, and relatives.
txshooter

Post by txshooter »

Another terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family in their time of need.

It really does make you think about how short life is. A good friend of mine and fellow officer passed away a couple days ago. She seemed to be in good health, but began to feel poorly and her sister took her to the ER. She had a perforated ulcer and died after surgery.

Treat every day here as it were your last and cherish every moment you have with family and friends.
Scott B.
"Never argue with seven men when you are carrying a six shooter..."
Ford
What radios do you own?: MTS2000, XTS2500, XTS5000

Post by Ford »

I'm sorry to hear that, it brings a sadness that is not quantifiable. My thoughts are with them, and you guys.
Technology is my toy.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I am so sorry to hear that.. my thoughts go to his family and his friends...
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Our thoughts are prayer go out to his family and friends.He was one of the first private messages I ever received on this board.
He pointed me to Will-Burt for a telescoping and pneumatic mast for a project here.
I will miss his wit,endearing advice and at times corny candor.
RIP Copcarguy
Wayne
nothing
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

Daniel and Emily Long
(Died March 17, 2008)

Guest Book | Sign Guest Book

Birch Run, MI
Father and daughter passed away on March 17, 2008 age 43, and 5. He married Wenise Stenger, she survives him. Dan graduated from De La Salle High school. They were members of St. Lorenz Lutheran Church where Emily attended school. Dan was a Hazel Park Police Reserve and the owner of Long Light Emergency Equipment for over 20 years.

Surviving are one son Benjamin Long of North Carolina, and one step-daughter Elizabeth Beelman and fiancé Mike Reinbold of Frankenmuth. His parents, Alan and Adele Long of Detroit, one Brother David Long Detroit, and in-laws William and Lillian Stenger of Bridgeport, also many other family members and friends.

Funeral Services will take place on Saturday March 22, 2008, 10:00 am at the Cederberg Funeral Home of Frankenmuth 590 N. Franklin St. and 11:00 am at St. Lorenz Lutheran Church. Rev. Gary Bender will officiate with burial to take place between services at St. Lorenz Cemetery. The Long family will receive visitors on Thursday from 4-8 pm and Friday from 2-8 pm and on Saturday from 9:00 am until the time of service. Those planning an expression of sympathy may wish to consider memorials to Daniel and Emily Long Memorial Fund C/O Wenise Long.

What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

OMG...How Terrible :o , My Families Prayers go to his...
Ladies amd Gentleman...Life is so short enjoy every minute with your family and friends you can.....
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

While I didn't actually know Dan, although I'm sure we crossed paths on the board a few times, my heart goes out to his family and friends in their time of loss. RIP Dan and Emily.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
dcaptain

Post by dcaptain »

Dan was one of the nicest people in the world. Not only would he give you the shirt off his back, first he would have it pressed, help you put it on and button it up for you. And then he would ask if there was anything else he could do to help you.

I always looked froward to seeing him and Wenise at the Jackson Fire Show in april and getting to see him again at Dayton.

It is going to be hard going to these places without seeing him, but at least we will know he will be watching us from above.

He will be missed by a lot of folks.

Forever your Friend,
dale in cleveland
dcaptain
dale
oldradioguy

Post by oldradioguy »

Sorry to hear this. Not what you want to hear.
Dude.....I don't want your f*****n Dell!
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Wow, this is horrible news. My thoughts and prayers will go out to the family. A very sad tragedy.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

Last edited by Terry_Glover on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terry
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

Very, very unfortunate accident.

May Father and Child rest in peace...
Terry
Greg2561

Post by Greg2561 »

So sorry to hear about this loss. My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Greg
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

Very sorry, prayers are with the families.....Jim
Evil Scientist - BOO
Batboard $upporter

Post by Evil Scientist - BOO »

SG,

I'm deeply saddened to hear about this tragedy. Dan truly was as nice a fellow as you could ever meet, and I consider myself fortunate to have gotten to know him the little bit that I did last year at Dayton. I'll be sure to keep Dan, Emily, and their family in my thoughts and prayers.

-Dan
N6LAU
What radios do you own?: Talkabout-250 w/ P25 Phase 2

Post by N6LAU »

My heart and prayers go out to the families and friends...Life is precious.

Joe
N6LAU
Joe - N6LAU
nh7cy
What radios do you own?: one of each

Post by nh7cy »

This is very sad news. My prayers go out to his family.
Jason B
Operating VHF AM mobile - On the air, In the air.
DC615
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R M3, XTVA w/HHCH

Post by DC615 »

Rest in peace friends. My deepest sympathy is expressed to the family and friends.
DC615
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

This was passed along to me by a friend in the Antique emergency vehicle fourms.. I will try to get a copy of the flyer that goes along with it to post.

I am contacting you to request your assistance with the “Dan & Emily Long Memorial Emergency
Vehicle Show”. Dan Long was a 20 year member of the Hazel Park Police Auxiliary Unit and owner
operator of Long Light Emergency Equipment, an emergency vehicle outfitter for over 20 years
servicing many Police, Fire, and EMS Departments throughout Michigan.

On March 17, 2008, while Dan was driving Emily, his 5 year old daughter to school, they were
broadsided by a vehicle in Saginaw County. Tragically, Dan and Emily were both killed at the
scene. In an effort to honor the memory of Dan & Emily the Hazel Park Police Department, Fire
Department and Police Auxiliary Unit, are holding the first Annual “Dan & Emily Long Memorial
Emergency Vehicle Show”.

The show is being held on Saturday, September 13, 2008 at The Hazel Park Harness Raceway,
with show hours from 10:00am to 4:00pm. The show will feature classic and current emergency
vehicles, classic and show cars from across Michigan. Demonstrations are scheduled with Police
K-9 units and the Michigan State Police Bomb Squad with several more in the works.

Donations can be made to:

The Dan & Emily Long Memorial Fund,
PO Box 806243, St. Clair Shores, MI 48080.
58sniper
New User

Post by 58sniper »

You can also visit the memorial site at http://www.danandemilylong.com/

Return to “Announcements and Forum News”