900 MHz XTL5000 question: Wide Band capable?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

900 MHz XTL5000 question: Wide Band capable?

Post by n6fnp »

I'm looking at getting a 900 MHz XTL radio for use on the 900 Ham band. I was told by someone
that has one that they are only Narrrow Band. Is this the case, or can they be programmed or
flashed to do both Wide and Narrow Band?
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Re: 900 MHz XTL5000 question: Wide Band capable?

Post by MSS-Dave »

I don't have a 900 MHz codeplug to open to test this for sure but.... working in the industry maintaining 900 MHz commercial stuff since the mid 90's on mostly Motorola but including GE/Ericsson/ M/A-Com and others, I've found wide band isn't an option. As the XTL is a commercial radio, I'm reasonably sure that it will default to the 2.5 K deviation on transmit setting and won't allow you to change it. The RX front end is optimized for narrow band as well.

EDIT... Meant to say the IF section not RX front end. That would be optimized to work between 896 and 901 MHz
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

Might be worth a call to Motorola. I had a bunch of VHF and UHF MotoTrbo radios that were locked down to narrowband in CPS. I had to go through the Motorola "narrowband training" Powerpoint presentation. And then get Entitlement ID's for the CPS. When I entered this into each computer, they confirmed with a server at Motorola, that I had been through the "training". Then wideband was allowed once again.
These were radios that require both wide and narrow channels.
It may be the same on the XTL series. Has been a while since needing wideband on an XTL for me. They are all narrow in the building I am in right now.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Astro25 CPS doesn't need an EID for wideband. Instead, it's a Flashcode item that limits radios to narrow band. That said, I don't know if the 900 XTLs can be made to be WB but would be curious to find out as well.
Will

Post by Will »

Ham band 900 uses 2.5k dev just like Commercial systems.
n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

Post by n6fnp »

Hi Will,

We have Ham repeaters in my area that are Wide Band. There are some that are Narrow Band, but many are Wide.

This is why I need to find a solution so that an XTL2500/5000 can have channels programmed for either Wide or Narrow.

I have a 900 MCS2000 mobile and an EF Johnson 5100 HT which can have channels programmed for either Wide or Narrow.

-N6FNP

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”