MTX9000 squelch settings-ham band?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

MTX9000 squelch settings-ham band?

Post by Max-trac »

I have a MTX9000 16ch working on the ham bands, but the soft pot squelch settings do not work on the ham band. Anyone set the voltages manually? I have a manual, but want to save time....
....Keith
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Mine works fine. Use the freq closest to the band edge in the squelch set menu for 927 ham RX squelch set.

Chris N9LLO
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

That didn't work. Even at 927 it seems to be at full squelch.
....thanks
xmo

Post by xmo »

My radio unmutes at 0.2 microvolts, but if you can't get yours to open where you want it to, there is a workaround. I would assume that any repeater you would be using would be equipped with PL or DPL. This is almost a necessity on 900 due to all the 'incumbent' unlicensed devices.

When you program your channels (modes):

F4 - Change View
F6 - Conventional Systems, Personalities, MDC, Options
F3 - Conventional Personalities, Options

Put in your frequencies & PL codes, then press:

F9 - More Options

On that screen you will see a field: Unmute/Mute Type

The factory default is "Unmute/OR Mute" which will require the PL AND the CSQ to open and will mute if it loses either.

Change the field to "Standard" and it will open and close the audio on PL only - thereby circumventing your squelch setting problem.
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Re: MTX9000 squelch settings-ham band?

Post by Max-trac »

That worked..... except when scanning the radio seems to require carrier and PL and it is too tight. I do have "Carrier Detect Required" "Disabled in the scan options.
okto
New User
What radios do you own?: Jedis and Sabers, mostly.

Post by okto »

Also, most ham repeaters don't transmit PL tones, which means the squelch would never open when using a repeater.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

okto wrote:Also, most ham repeaters don't transmit PL tones, which means the squelch would never open when using a repeater.
This is one thing I never understood about amateur machines...
Not transmitting a tone/DPL code to open the user's radios is unusual to me, and every machine I build, always transmits a tone or DPL code.
I hate the CSQ crashes from the lack of a reverse burst.
I believe it only makes sense to always transmit a tone as well as open the receiver with a tone, and I firmly believe this.
I guess this is a personal taste issue.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

While I find this to be true on VHF club repeaters, it seems people who put up their own 900 machines are seriously radio proficient, & always transmit a PL tone. GARY
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

On the 900 Mhz band it is a "Given" to use encode/decode because of all the Part 15 and IMS noise and garbage. The 2 meter and 440 repeaters didn't encode PL and goes back to the Old Days when groups didn't want to advertise their PL's for everyone to see. Also when the Japanese radios started hitting the market, they didn't even have any type of tone boards. So the the user had to install his own CTCSS board, which was usually a simple encode only.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”