Syntor X

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I have heard the Syntor X 800 is a candidate
for 900 conversion. Anybody know anything
about programming? The Sprog program I have seen is for VHF. Any info on the hardware mods necessary?

Chris
xmo

Post by xmo »

The SyntorX9000 'Ham' version of the RSS will let you program the ham freqs into an 800 radio. The bad news is that the radio will require significant hardware mods to make the move from 800 to 900. KF5N had some instructions that were originally developed by N6AMG(SK). I believe this document runs 15 pages or so.

I saw these instructions once at a friend's and wrote down the calls because I had an 800 X9000 and thought it might be fun to convert. The scope of the work required versus adding a 10 cent resistor to a $50 900 Spectra changed my mind.

If you are a real RF guru and want to get into modifying helical resonators & strip lines & such - go for it.

ac7fn

Post by ac7fn »

I have converted 5 of the 800 mhz Syntor-X radios to 900. It is a lot of work compared to the Spectra mod. It takes me 2 evenings to do the mod's, another two or so to get the Chip programmed and all the cabling and CH to work together. The Spectra approach is better.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”