900MHz Maxtrac questions...

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kg4lmt

900MHz Maxtrac questions...

Post by kg4lmt »

I have several Maxtracs that I am in the process of converting to ham use. Half of these are going to be used for repeater transmitters. All of the model numbers are D37MWA5GB7AK. All of the serial numbers are 436SWX**** which are all late model. I would like to use one of these as a 900MHz ham repeater transmitter and a converted 800MHz Maxtrac as the receiver. O.k. here are the questions. 1) All of the 900MHz Maxtracs will transmit on ham repeater output frequencies without having to modify the striplines or change any filters. These outputs lay between 927.5125MHz and 927.7250MHz. Obviously only the talkaround side of the radio is being used for this. If I leave well enough alone, how close to the radios' maximum rated output will I be? 2) If I understood the modification instructions correctly, changing the filters are necessary so that I could use one of the radios as a mobile transceiver in my car (Basically, of course). Will I still need to change the stock filters to the one that are called-for by the modifications? 3) What is the benefit of changing the stripline for the talkaround side of the radio? 4) If I am using one of these mobiles as a transmitter on let's say 927.6000MHz, where should the steering line voltage be so I can get maximum power out of the radio? (i.e. best results) I am sure I will think of more questions later, but help with all of these is appreciated.

Thank You,
Charles
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

You will probably have to add a little conductive pen to the TX side VCO for it to be reliable at 926. Mine worked originally with no mods at 927.975, but when cold would not lock.

You only need the Murata filter(s) change if you are going to use it as a receiver in a RF enviroment.
You can pull them and jumper them and see how it goes, you will have to do that with the 800 rx radio too....

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”