weird GTX problem

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mike m

weird GTX problem

Post by mike m »

Ok here is a strange one, I have 2 GTX900 mobiles model M11WGD4CB1AN, when I turn the radio on the display comes up for about half a second with all icons on and the backlighting on then nothing after this. The radios both appear dead after the initial turn on. The keypad and all buttons have no effect at all.

When I try to read the radios I obtain an error #2 consult programming manual.

If I do the com port test I get the SERIAL BUS ERROR #2 NO ACKNOWLEDGE.

Anyone ever have this problem or have any ideas where to start looking ? Oh yeah I'm Using GTX/max638 version 2 software.

Mike
Jonathan KC8RYW

Re: weird GTX problem

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

mike m wrote:Ok here is a strange one, I have 2 GTX900 mobiles model M11WGD4CB1AN, when I turn the radio on the display comes up for about half a second with all icons on and the backlighting on then nothing after this. The radios both appear dead after the initial turn on. The keypad and all buttons have no effect at all.

When I try to read the radios I obtain an error #2 consult programming manual.

If I do the com port test I get the SERIAL BUS ERROR #2 NO ACKNOWLEDGE.

Anyone ever have this problem or have any ideas where to start looking ? Oh yeah I'm Using GTX/max638 version 2 software.

Mike
They probably are set for ignition sense.

It's a line on the 16 pin connector that needs +12 volts to power up the radio.

PS: move up to version 4.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
Mrbmw99

Post by Mrbmw99 »

Hi Mike! I believe the problem you are having here is caused by the Ignition sense line. This SHOULD be pin 4 on the back, but you will need to look it up. Wherever it is, just apply +12v to it and your radios should stay on for you! Let me know... -Brett W
mike m

Post by mike m »

Yes you are both correct,

These radios are built into a base station docking bay/power supply unit and I didn't even see that the accy jumpers were missing. Now I need to find the pinout of the ACCY connector so I can get ignition sense and the internal spkr connected up.

I can't find the diagram of the accy connector in the archieves or in the model specific pages. Anyone have a pix they could supply of the accy connector ?

And yes I know about vs 4 would be better but I'm stuck with what I have for now.

Mike
mike m

Post by mike m »

OK I figured out the ig sense and have the radio working but when I read it gives me a OBT SUBBANDS checksum error press F2 then it gives an ERROR 53 trunking codeplug error

any ideas ? software version probably ?

Mike
Mrbmw99

Post by Mrbmw99 »

Mike, I do not have a diagram. On my radio, the seller shipped it with a drawing, but I cannot remember what pin was what. I know that I jumped pins 4 and 10 together, and it worked fine. -Brett W
mike m

Post by mike m »

Thanks everyone I finally got it working after rreloading SW and hooking IGnition sense up, especially Ken in KC and Walt in Tucson, my original home town. Ken I Love that town (KC) I used to live over in Olathe when I worked for King radio, some of the friendliest hams around not to mention the batlabs guys who are the best.

Mike
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

You know, that Ign Sense issue in the GTX mobiles is such a common newbie problem, someone should make a stickie in this section covering it.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
mike m

Post by mike m »

The real problem was that the radio came attached to a docking bay power supply and I never looked at the rear, since the power connector was hooked up and it was turning on for an instant, I assumed the ACCY connector was there too.

It appeared to be a cobbled together E-bay setup that I was programming for a friend. If I'd removed it first from the astron docking bay/power supply I would have seen the problem but I was in a hurry as usual.

Mike
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

Just as a hint. If you don't have an accy plug and some of the pins you need to jumper are next to each other I use the little jumper pads like you use on a computer board, same spacing.

Big BOB
mike m

Post by mike m »

I fixed the plug end of the power supply/docking bay, the pins were robbed from that end. Too bad because it was a nice setup that someone obviously took the time to put together.

All of the radios looked like they came from someones 902 to 928 ham trunking project as the radios were already programmed for a type II system in the 902 to 928 band with the 25 Mhz offset.

Mike

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”