GTX mobile power problems fixed

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9LLO

GTX mobile power problems fixed

Post by N9LLO »

I have fixed the low power problem at 927 mhz on both hi power and lo power (M11WGD and M11WGJ) GTX's by cloning in a codeplug from a radio that does not exhibit the problem. If anyone else wants to try my
fix email me for the codeplugs.

Chris
N9LLO@aol.com
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I will attest to this method. It worked for me just fine, after getting past a system ID problem.

Originally I was getting controlled power on a 902 MHz frequency and maximum uncontrolled power on several 927 MHZ frequencies. Now I get the same controlled power on all the frequencies I originally had.

I haven't gone through the radio checking all the things like deviation, power, and warp frequency, but the power seems to have leveled itself out, is not running wide open any more, and I have just as much power on 927.5 as anywhere else. The radio is drawing about 5.5 amps on all channels, plus or minus 1/4 amp.

Bob M.
Seth

GTX

Post by Seth »

kcbooboo wrote:I will attest to this method. It worked for me just fine, after getting past a system ID problem.

Originally I was getting controlled power on a 902 MHz frequency and maximum uncontrolled power on several 927 MHZ frequencies. Now I get the same controlled power on all the frequencies I originally had.

I haven't gone through the radio checking all the things like deviation, power, and warp frequency, but the power seems to have leveled itself out, is not running wide open any more, and I have just as much power on 927.5 as anywhere else. The radio is drawing about 5.5 amps on all channels, plus or minus 1/4 amp.

Bob M.
and how did u get past the ID problem ??
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

"and how did u get past the ID problem ??"

A lot of guesses, wishful thinking, pleading, and finally some help from an ex-Motorola technician.

Bob M.
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

What is the ID problem?

Chris
N9LLO
No Longer Registered

Post by 70351 »

Yes, do tell of the ID issue!

Randy
I Never asked, tried to sell, or even so much as hinted about RSS. The moderators decided to "tag" me for no reason. This is what happens when you ask for help on the board. Your name gets smeared for something you didn't do.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

After getting the "magic" code plug, I couldn't clone it into my GTX mobile because the RSS wanted a system ID file. I didn't have one, and since I bought the radio on eBay, I'm sure one probably existed when the original purchaser (or Motorola shop) had it. Without this special file, whose contents and composition I had no idea about, I was not able to clone my radio, even when cloning its own code plug. RSS just refused to go further. Quite annoying.

Eventually I managed to get a system key file which has to go into a specific directory/folder and have a specific name. Somehow this encoded file contains the system ID and other stuff RSS needs to make sure you really are allowed to change every field in the trunking info sections. Without it, you can't change any trunking info or perform a cloning operation.

With this key file, the cloning went just fine, the radio puts out equal power on 927.4875, 927.5000, and 927.6000. I then reprogrammed the channels to my liking and eventually tested the radio on a service monitor. It puts out about 11.25 watts +/- 0.25 watts on all the channels I have in it. Deviation is relatively consistent as well.

I don't want to post my source, to protect the innocent.

Bob M.
Seth

Post by Seth »

kcbooboo wrote:.

Eventually I managed to get a system key file which has to go into a specific directory/folder and have a specific name. Somehow this encoded file contains the system ID and other stuff RSS needs to make sure you really are allowed to change every field in the trunking info sections. Without it, you can't change any trunking info or perform a cloning operation.

With this key file, the cloning went just fine, the radio puts out equal power on 927.4875, 927.5000, and 927.6000. I then reprogrammed the channels to my liking and eventually tested the radio on a service monitor. It puts out about 11.25 watts +/- 0.25 watts on all the channels I have in it. Deviation is relatively consistent as well.

I don't want to post my source, to protect the innocent.

Bob M.
but im still in the land of the dark void !!!!
KC7NOA

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”