Nucleus II into a 900mhz repeater

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ssybert

Nucleus II into a 900mhz repeater

Post by ssybert »

Hey Guys,

I've got a couple Nuke II's a buddy and I are trying to get setup for use as repeaters. We purchased them with the optional recievers and 300w PA. Unfortunatly, they do not have the advanced controller.

After going through them tonight, it looks like the recievers are VHF (132-154mhz) and will not be useful for this project. My question is, is there a connector someplace on this thing where I can manually trigger TX and send analog audio into it so I can interface an external controller to it? Basically using the station as a transmitter only. I've been reading the 800mhz maxtrac's make good recievers for 900mhz repeaters so I'm going tolok into that as well.

Any suggestions, ideas? Anyone know how to get audio and a TX trigger into this thing?

Also, would it be easier for me to get 900mhz Nuke recievers? How would I interface a controller to this if this is the best way?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Scott.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

J17 - 50 pin Telco
Pin 10 = external key request

As I recall, the standard controller does not allow you to choose the polarity of pin 10. It is active low. So, you can PTT the NUC-II here with a low.

Previously mentioned here:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=22739
The NUC-II with Standard controller does not accept analog audio, but the Advanced controller will (adv. controller wiring is listed in the above post).

My NUC-II with Standard controller (927.9125/186.2 Kansas City, MO) had to have mods made to the exciter module. Analog audio is directly wired into the exciter. A PL encoder is directly wired up to the exciter as well.
I did not mod my exciter personally, so I do not know exactly how it was done.:roll:
I was only motivated enough to buy the NUC, just too lazy to figure out the mods myself......

Ken in KC
The EDACS DΩRK......
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

Thank you for the info. i've sent a PM to the batlabber mentioned in that thread. Hopefully he can give me some mod tips.

Scott.
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Scott,
How's the NUC-II project coming along?

NØNDP
The EDACS DΩRK......
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

Ken,

I sent you and Bob and email a few weeks back. did you get it? it worked!! Bob's instructions helped me get the audio into the exciter and it's working excellent. unfortunatly the site is not the greatest so we have do some work on the recieve end of things but the repeater is on the air. I hope to be adding IRLP to it in the coming weeks.

If you didn't recieve my email, please let me know and I'll resend it.

Thanks Scott.
KB1FXY
n_zero_ndp

Post by n_zero_ndp »

Scott,
I did get your mail... just wondered if you had it setup at it's final destination.
Since we can't seem to get anyone to put some sort of modification document together, maybe you can have the honors 8)

Isolating the vco audio path away from the edge connector was not something I was aware of... glad that was brought to light.

NØNDP
The EDACS DΩRK......
ssybert

Post by ssybert »

I'm working on putting together a website with what Adam and myself plan to acomplish on the 900 front. Hopefully we can attract some interest. I'll add that to my list of things to do and post it. Maybe they can put it on the Batlabs site as currently there is nothing on the NUC-II

What we're hoping to do is put together atleast 2 sites and link them with IRLP. I then hope to attract new members and add more repeaters to the linked mesh. In the end, I'd like to see a massive 900mhz fulltime linked network of repeaters covering as much of New England as we can get. I think with the lack of activity on 900, this would be pretty feasable as in not over subscribing what would really be ONE repeater with too many users.

It's quite an idea and I have no idea if we'll be able to attract that many people but so far some have shown serious interest so it's looking promising.

I'll get something together and submit it to Batlabs... giving Sm0ke the credit for the mod of course 8)

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”