MTX loose antenna connector

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RidgeRunner

MTX loose antenna connector

Post by RidgeRunner »

I have a MTX with an loose antenna connector I took the radio apart and it looks like the connector is pressed into the chasis. What are my options for fixing this?

Thanks
Robert
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Replace the frame

Chris
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

Later frames have a pin that keeps the connector from becoming loose and coming out. If you have an extra frame that's one option. If you don't, you can pull the connector out of the radio and place a "shim" of sorts (what ever works) and put it back in. You can also "tweak" the frame, but not too much. The last two are ghetto, but they work.

I've used a VERY small dab of solder on one of mine in the past with very good results.

PS: Make sure that you beat whoever is holding your radio by the antenna in the head!

Good luck.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

I used JB Weld on one that was loose a few years ago, it's still as strong as it was from the factory after I did that.

In a pinch, you can remove the antenna nut, bang it back into place after you turn it slightly. I wouldn't do this, as it'll eventually strip the antenna nut, but if you're in the field and it falls out, it might be your only option.
RidgeRunner

good ideas!

Post by RidgeRunner »

Hey guys thanks for the replies!, I think the idea of JB weld ( I am assuming its some sort of metal epoxy) will work. I do not have a spare frame but that is another option too!

Thanks for the help!
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

Yes. JB Weld is a 2 part metal epoxy. It's conductive, and extremly strong.

It makes a hell of a mess if you're not careful though.
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

I have repair a few by drilling a small hole and tap it with a 4-40 and install a small set screw.
WB6DGN

Loose Antenna Connector

Post by WB6DGN »

JB weld sounds like a good idea. If you want the replacement part number, it's 1505892Z01 but it's VERY expensive. About $70.00! Then you need the thermal pad for the PA, etc. If JB Weld's conductive, go with that. Learn something new every day!!! Thanks.

Tom KB5DPE

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”