Modulating a Nucleus 2 digital paging transmitter

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Modulating a Nucleus 2 digital paging transmitter

Post by kcbooboo »

I've completed a huge article about my experience with a digital Nucleus paging transmitter. It can be seen here:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... ticle.html

You can click on most of the photos, graphs, and images to get a bigger view.

This mod was done successfully on two Nukes that are currently in service as 927 MHz repeater transmitters.

Bob M.
RFdude

Awesome article

Post by RFdude »

This is an awesome article with excellent documentation. Thank you for your contribution.

The sad thing with equipment evolution is there are many 800 and 900 MHz transmitters being scrapped with too few people around who know how to modify for ham purposes, or in some cases, they can't be modified or reprogrammed at all. Really a shame.

I just watched dozens of mint condition 800 MHz DATATAC base stations (they look like Quantars) go to the crusher. The only thing I found useful for ham purposes was a power bar! Even the switch mode power supply with battery charger has its operating circuitry integrated into the controller and can't be separated. Shame... or tell me it isn't so?

RF Dude.
walt10

nucleus

Post by walt10 »

I also want to thank you for a great write-up. I have one behind me that I just installed the 5pin 800 meg for the modulator. Pluged in the mic and it transmitts. I also installed a receiver to make an all in one repeter. The tx audio is great. This unit came with an internal receiver which I removed. At the top of the rack is a wacom 2 cavity bp filter. Just might work with seperate antennas?
73 and thanks
Walt
WB4LDS

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”