MAXTRAC Conversion Problem (902)

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w1ksz

MAXTRAC Conversion Problem (902)

Post by w1ksz »

I have a Maxtrac D37 that transmits OK up to 902.4 and at 927.5 (T/A) without the VCO mod (never saw one do that before), but will not go to 902.6 MHz. Tried the VCO mod (using copper tape) and still can't get it to work at 902.6. The firmware is FRN4007C.
I thought I read somewhere that at 902.5 the VCO switches to the T/A vco, or am I having another "moment" ??

Tnx, Dick, W1KSZ
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

I think the crossover freq depends on wether it has the conventional or trunking firmware in it. I can't remember the exact freqs, but it was discussed here... I "think" it crosses over at 903 for the conventional...
xmo

Post by xmo »

Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

And here;
http://www.batlabs.com/max900.html
I think if you make it conventional, it will do what you want.
They are a pain, and everyone is a little different (or should I say, difficult....)
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Is the 900Mhz conventional firmware still available or is there a .bin file floating around that everyone is using?

The reason i ask is i might be getting a Maxtrac 900Mhz and i want to start planning out what i need to get it done. I searched through some old posts on here and only found mention of replacing the trunking firmware with conventional.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

I think I tried buying one at the beginning of 2005. After four months of being on continuously increasing backorder, I cancelled it. I'm sure there's a file floating around somewhere. I'll check my contacts.

Bob M.
xmo

Post by xmo »

Unless you two are both looking for an official warning - the firmware issue ends here.

I suggest you both review the board rules:

"Can I request firmware?
This question comes up on occassion. The answer is no. It falls under the same category of RSS."
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Gee boys and girls, I haven't had that tag under my name yet. Maybe it'll be worth more than "Batboard $upporter" which, so far, has been useless.

I didn't see anyone ASK for a product, just if it was still available. People post requests about parts availability all the time: knobs, escutcheons, connectors, etc., and those who are fortunate enough to be able to look such info up on the web, report back all the time.
Mike in CT

RSS issue to the Moderator

Post by Mike in CT »

Moderator:

With all due respect, I would have to side with "kcbooboo" on this one. He did NOT offer for sale, trade or request for sale or trade anything to do with firmware/software. He did nothing even remotely questionable.

It was obviously just a CASUAL mention about it. Does my mentioning the existence of a certain item imply that I am looking for it or wanting to sell it?

If I discuss (with another ham) the schematic for a 10-kW HF amplifier, is it assumed that I want one? Or is it implied that I am going top produce one for sale or trade?

OF COURSE NOT! Casual discussion is immune from litigation. (Unless you mention something like "bomb" in an airport!!)

I think we as a group are getting overly paranoid about things in the /\/\ Department.

my humble two cents... and I DO appreciate the moderators on this board...

Mike KM1R
xmo

Post by xmo »

kcbooboo: "... I didn't see anyone ASK for a product..."

kb0nly: "...is there a .bin file floating around that everyone is using? "

That's close enough to asking in my book.

AND

kcbooboo: "...I'm sure there's a file floating around somewhere. I'll check my contacts. "

That looked pretty close to an offer to procure. Note that I said pretty close. That's why I thought a gentle reminder would serve. Apparently NOT.

To repeat the board policy. Radio firmware is Motorola's Intellectual Property. This board will not facilitate the infringement of Motorola's IP rights in any way - including helping track down .bin file images of firmware.

Subject closed.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”