MTS2000 differences

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Astro Spectra

MTS2000 differences

Post by Astro Spectra »

Hi All,

I have a bunch of MTS2000 radios that I'm moving to the amateur 900MHz band.

Two of them, a WCH and a WCF with firmware R05.53 date from '93 and '94 program and work pretty well using CPS 1.06. They just need a bit of soft pot tweaking to get the deviation right.

However another bunch of six WCD top display models with R06.14 from around '98 seem to receive OK down to around 925 MHz but won't transmit in talk around below 933MHz or so.

In fact when programmed with say 927.5 MHz they happily transmit around 939 MHz without giving an unlock indication!

Is this just RF board variations or a controller issue?

I've done a search here and found comments along the lines that the newer RF boards have more spread but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

And by the way how is the MPL feature supposed to work? It can't be set as a menu option but can be assigned to the buttons. With an MPL list and MPL enable conventional mode nothing happens when the MPL assigned button is pushed. What gives?
rodell

Re: MTS2000 differences

Post by rodell »

I believe MPL requires 6.5x and later firmware. Even though you can program it completely, it just doesn't work.

Rob
Astro Spectra

Re: MTS2000 differences

Post by Astro Spectra »

OK so I've only tested 10 units however it appears that the only MTS2000 radios that will work in the amateur band are those fitted with the NUF6395 RF transceiver board. None of those fitted with the NUF6499 boards worked even when mated with a controller from a good radio (NTN7093).

New question how can you tell if you have a D64 codeplug vs a F91 codeplug when CPS reports in both cases codeplug version F?

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”