LCS2000 vs GTX, Conventional Options Preference?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

LCS2000 vs GTX, Conventional Options Preference?

Post by Max-trac »

When using the GTX in conventional, one is VERY limited on options.
Like you can't program the LARGE up/down buttons for channel on the mobile, and cannot program the rotary for channel on the display HTs.
Also NO talkaround button...
Is the LCS2000 the any better??
If so, is it similar enough to force a codeplug into a GTX?
AEC
No Longer Registered

Re: LCS2000 vs GTX, Conventional Options Preference?

Post by AEC »

If memory serves me correctly, both the LCS/LTS and GTX series do NOT allow access to the group(channel) knob for frequency selection, and you don't have access to programmable options to assign buttons to a specific function either...you get what you get in other words.

10 conventional channels....if more than that, you had to HEX them in and if you reprogram with regular RSS, you revert to the 10 channels you started with.

Of course, you can always HEX the radio again to regain those 'lost' channels.

All you'll 'get' is SCAN, SCAN program, nuisance delete and channel up/down, and of course, monitor and ON/volume.

but you can use a DTMF mic and enable the phone option if needed...then you can dial preprogrammed numbers from a list, or access systems that might require a different string of tones than a standard PL/DPL....such as RAC.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

Unfortunately, you _can't_ just return to the standard channel complement by using the standard software. Once you use the channel hexed software to program extra channels, you can only use such software until you've removed the extra channels.

'JK
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

W6JK wrote:Unfortunately, you _can't_ just return to the standard channel complement by using the standard software. Once you use the channel hexed software to program extra channels, you can only use such software until you've removed the extra channels.

'JK
I just rebuilt a codeplug that was hexed to 14 channels, and once read, I programmed it with the standard complement and all was back the way it was from the factory.

Whether or not the added channel data was still present, I don't know, but the radio never acted odd and only displayed the info I programmed into it...YMMV.
W6JK

Post by W6JK »

I have no idea what you mean by rebuilding a code plug, but you don't hex the code plug to get the 14 (or 15) channels in. You hex the RSS. My "milage" has been that once you do that, and load the resulting code plug into a radio, you can't read the radio with unhexed RSS. Do you know a different road?

'JK

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”