MOTO TRBO Issue (Radio Or Battery)

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I use a MOTO TRBO UHF radio at work. I think it is an XPR6550. There have been times when the radio Off-Volume Switch is "ON", but the radio is not powered up. I will realize that, then turn it off, and back on, and it seems fine. The battery strength indicator will have several bars. This is using a Motorola IMPRES battery in an IMPRES charger. The indicators on the charger show that everything is operating normally. If this likely to be a radio problem or a battery problem? Should I try swapping out a different battery to see if it behaves the same way?

It is sort of disconcerting when the radio works part way through the shift and then you hear traffic on another radio, but not yours, and you realize the switch is on, but the radio isn't!
RFguy

Re: MOTO TRBO Issue (Radio Or Battery)

Post by RFguy »

What version firmware is it running? There was a power-up issue on versions R01.06.10 and earlier.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Thank you for the reply. It is R01.05.10.
JRayfield

Post by JRayfield »

Is GPS enabled on your radio?
Rayfield Communications
Springfield, MO
www.rayfield.net
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

No.
t95mwp
Batboard $upporter

Post by t95mwp »

You need to replace your on/off volume switch

4015186H01-part number.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

t95mwp wrote:You need to replace your on/off volume switch

4015186H01-part number.
Indeed, both the on/off volume switch, and the channel selector switch have known issues. The volume controls quickly lose the tactile 'click' when turning on/off. They'll often still work fine...for a while, but they'll eventually either not turn on at all, or randomly turn off as you've seen. The channel selector switch will either not show the correct channel, or will switch to other channels if you so much as breathe on it. The only "fix" is to replace them with the same crappy parts. Motorola portables have gone from almost never needing service, to requiring it 1-2 a year (minimum). So much for 'six sigma' quality.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

The radio is back from the shop, but it is still Firmware Version:

R01.05.10

Shouldn't the shop have upgraded the firmware even if it was in for something else?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

One would hope...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Jim1348 wrote:The radio is back from the shop, but it is still Firmware Version:

R01.05.10

Shouldn't the shop have upgraded the firmware even if it was in for something else?
Typically yes, but one never knows what might happen at the Mexirola repair shop.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

I've got about 100 6550s in service. I've already sent several back to Mot for the channel selector problem mentioned. I've notice a good number of them have lost the 'click' when turning on/off. Wonder If I need to look into getting this fixed while they are still under warranty?
Jim1348

MOTO TRBO Issue Battery Saver Mode

Post by Jim1348 »

I was told at work tonight that our radios were programmed with a Battery Saver feature that puts the radio in a sleep mode. Is that really a feature and, if so, could I miss calls while it is in that Battery Saver mode?
wiscomm

Post by wiscomm »

New part number for the volume switch is now - 4015186H02 - Perhaps they have fixed the issues from the previous part number.

Craig
Jim1348

MOTO TRBO Firmware Version

Post by Jim1348 »

I have finally been updated R01.09.00, but some other users on our system remain on R01.05.10. What, if any, problems might we encounter with some users still on old firmware? I guess I would like to recommend that we get everyone updated, but I may need something to help convince them that this is a good thing to do.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

There have numerous fixes since 1.05 that affect digital as well as analog operation. You can google some of the release notes from motorola. If you are using MTR3000s or XPR repeaters don't forget about upgrading them. There have been several important fixes for the repeaters. Some could be safety issues if you use any MDC or Digital emergency signalling. I'll try to find a link to a cumulative release note and pm you.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”