Radio ID & Name but no audio

Moderator: Queue Moderator

deg213
New User

Radio ID & Name but no audio

Post by deg213 »

I was wondering if anyone's heard of something like this:

We are using Three XPR8400 Repeaters with 6 time-slots in an indoor facility warehouse that is approximately 400,000 SQF. The system is connected to a Distributed Antenna system (DAS) with five splitters, five indoor antennas and one outdoor antenna.

When the system was tested with only two users it worked fine. Now that its up and running with multiple users with heavy machinery and noise, we have noticed that often times, some of the subscribers (XPR7550, XPR3550 and XPR6550s) will ‘light up’ as if someone is trying to transmit, but no audio is heard. The display will show the name and the ID of the person, but nothing is heard from the radio. All of the equipment was operating within the proper parameters. This happens intermittently and the coverage test during implementation indicated great coverage within the facility.

It looks as if the packet headers are making it through but not the voice payload. Does this have anything to do with the DAS environment and possibly deconstructive interference.

Thanks
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Radio ID & Name but no audio

Post by wavetar »

Are the three repeaters connected together via IP switch & running as a Capacity Plus system, or as three separate conventional repeaters?

One thought comes to mind...is advanced privacy being used? If it's enabled in the field radios, but not enabled in the repeaters, then you can get the symptoms you describe.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
deg213
New User

Post by deg213 »

Hello Wavetar,

Thanks for your response. The repeaters are using Cresecnd PAs and connected to a combiner/multicoupler but no IP switch. We are not using Capacity Plus; the system is conventional. Enhanced privacy is only being used on one of the channels dedicated to one time slot. A small portion of users (10%) have the Enhanced Privacy channel. All of the repeaters are programmed with Enhanced Privacy. We're seeing this issue at multiple sites.

Thanks again!
Forts

Post by Forts »

Are you only seeing this on the channel with Enhanced Privacy, or all channels? I have seen this happen on a channel using EP when signal is weak. I was doing some testing with a 6550 and a 4550, both using EP. As I approached the edge of the repeaters range I could seemingly TX with the 6550 (I could get the call grant tone) and the 4550 would show channel activity and my RID/Alias... but no audio what so ever. If I disabled privacy the call would go thru OK. As I moved a little further away the radio would finally bonk me and indicate I was out of range. I know of more than one agency in my area that has stopped using EP due to issues like this.
deg213
New User

Post by deg213 »

Hello Forts,

We are actually seeing this on non Enhanced Privacy channels. Also, the portables are all well within range. the signal strength is fine. We haven't done a BER test yet.

Thanks

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”