TRBO CPS 11 Not Compatible with Windows XP?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

escomm
Queue Moderator

TRBO CPS 11 Not Compatible with Windows XP?

Post by escomm »

Tried to install, I keep getting an error message saying something about the OS not meeting the requirements for the RM (Radio Management) software

So uh, is there any way to install this without the RM? I don't want or need RM on my shop laptop
Dorf411

Re: TRBO CPS 11 Not Compatible with Windows XP?

Post by Dorf411 »

I didn't spend any time trying to make CPS 11 work on XP but I did spend about an entire week making a bunch of shop PC's dual boot with XP/Win7 and then loading all of the necessary programming software on the Win7 OS. It was fun I can tell you.

The problem that I see down the road is that early TRBO radios prior to about 2011 didn't work very well with Win7. They couldn't make the proper network connection to allow the software to connect to the radio. I distinctly recall that problem when we first got some Win7 PC's. I called Motorola on it and they said it wasn't a problem, but about 6 months later there was a FSB that said an update to the firmware would solve the problem that "didn't exist" before.

So the problem that I see is when you now go to your customer that bought radios prior to 2011 that still have the older firmware you may have problems trying to program them to update settings with your Win7 machines. I have already encountered that, fortunately I still carry my older WinXP laptop as a backup.

Update: Found the FSB10600 said the problem I mentioned would be fixed in FW R01.08.30 in Feb 2012. So you almost need to have a PC or PC's that support both XP and 7 or higher.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Cool so we need an XP laptop first and then and 7/8 machine

Love you Motorola

Please stop hiring software programmers fresh out of college who have never actually programmed a two radio radio in their entire life and likely didn't know what a two way radio was before you interned them
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

they did it with APX CPS, TRBO CPS is probably written by the same contractors/5-er.com kids.
I would not be surprised if the next release of Astro 25 CPS is not XP compatible.

In their eyes, since XP is "no longer supported" by Microsoft (despite MS still pushing updates through MS Update to XP machines, and XP embedded being supported for a few more years), they no longer build in compatibility or support.

They obviously don't understand their user base needs. APX CPS is one thing, it is a huge piece of bloatware in and of itself, but TRBO is much lighter and no reason to not make it compatible. Still many of us with trusty CF-29s out there that work just fine for programming radios.,...
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Looks like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was able to get the R11 CPS moved from one PC to the laptop, too bad it won't run. Needs Dot Net Framework 4.5.1...which you can't have on an XP machine

I agree with MTS2000des that the next version of Astro25 and probably APX CPS too will have this limitation as well seeing as Dot Net is so heavily relied on by that abortion of a CPS as well
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Here's another think with TRBO CPS R11 that bugs the $hit out of me..... the junior developers who authored the installer software marked several non-critical components as resilient "key files" and if you delete them, the system replaces them under certain situations. Example, I don't prefer desktop icons (I like less desktop clutter), so I deleted the main desktop shortcut and instead opt to use the start menu shortcut. This happened when I ran the F1 help contents...it ran a Windows Installer "self healing" process which put the desktop shortcut back. Also, their horrible developers wrote a DLL to the root of my secondary hard disk! WHY? When I delete that file (which has no effect on the use of TRBO CPS, the next time the software runs a resiliency self-healing, it puts the DLL back..(along with the dang desktop shortcut again!)

Also, unlike EVERY other CPS I've used before in the past (including MTS2000 CPS, Astro Saber & XTS 3000 CPS, Astro25 CPS, APX CPS, etc), every time I double-click a codeplug file, it opens up the appropriate CPS and loads that codeplug. TRBO CPS does that too, but every time it does that, it runs the resiliency check and replaces deleted files such as shortcuts, orphaned DLL's, etc. However, if you launch TRBO CPS first, then CTRL-O to open the codeplug, it doesn't run a resiliency check. It does it when you run the clodeplug directly. Sloppy!

Having spent a LOT of time authoring custom Windows Installer packages, I can easily say that this is one sloppy installer.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Our Trbo group posted the same warning last night about the new Trbo on XP incompatibility.
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

MTS2000des wrote:They obviously don't understand their user base needs.
Don't understand or don't care what you need and want? From my recent conversations with programmers writing software for programming fire and security panels the attitude is more like that of any number of government agencies, "We know what you need better than you do."
3-SAM-12
Batboard $upporter

Post by 3-SAM-12 »

Did they do away with Copy and Paste? It worked in Version 10 but 11 paste is grayed out.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

I've been able to click and drag just fine but haven't tried copying and pasting yet.
nukedude
What radios do you own?: Many Motorola's

Post by nukedude »

This caused a lot of problems in my last job. When I told my employers that all of our XP computers were going to need to be replaced/upgraded to remain compatible with Motorola CPS, they all balked at me.

Started a new job 5 months ago, and yesterday, they call me and ask if Motorola has ceased XP compatibility. They are using XPR6550 handhelds and XPR4550 mobiles over a Trbo repeater network. I tell the guy on the phone "I warned you a year ago". The policy at that company was to upgrade all of their radios to the new CPS software each time a new release came out. This meant 5 or 6 technicians would drag out over 1400 Motorola radios and read and write to them in the new CPS. Well yesterday, I am told they received one back from repair, and they could not read or write to it. They then noticed that CPR R10 was out. (I didn't tell them that CPS R11 is actually out.) Now they are debating the upgrade of radios, and if they need new computers.

It is necessary to have XP and Win7 computers. It is a bad thing, but is common with other companies as well. Telex updated their software on their IP based dispatch gear also. It is Win7 compatible now, and anything coming back from repair will need Win7 and new software (and service contract) to program.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”