What is "Max Range Technology"?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

What is "Max Range Technology"?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I keep reading about Motorola's new "Max Range Technology" with the new series of trbo radios.

Does it just mean a higher gain antenna is used or does it involve clever dynamic front end RF gain and DSP adjustment to enhance weak signals?
Bill_G

Re: What is "Max Range Technology"?

Post by Bill_G »

Do you have an example of where they keep saying something that you keep reading?

My guess is it's marketing talk for the digital system gain which translates into range for some customers.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

It's actually "Range Max Technology". I see it in Motorola's marketing, with references such as:

"The SL300 features Range Max technology: an advanced radio design and patented antenna which delivers enhanced range while maintaining a slim profile and long battery life."

I agree with Bill, marketing of digital over analog with improved range at the edges of the coverage area.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Yep. Looks like the SL300 is the only product they are using that phrase "Range Max Technology" in the description. This radio sports stubby antennas for both UHF and VHF. Who knows how well they will actually work compared to other products. Maybe they built some mimo into the cover (and that it really does have improved performance over past stubbys), or maybe they are using a catch phrase to draw attention to it.
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

I have an SL300 UHF-L and I can attest that the range of this antenna at low power (it's only a 2 watt radio) is noticeably better in both analog and digital. Especially on DMR, I can reach a repeater 35 miles away with no line of sight with virtually no static.

I'm very impressed with this radio. Every aspect of it it well worth it.... audio clarity/quality, rugged design, unique display, easy-to-use controls, antenna gain, and battery life. Money well spent, IMHO.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i can attest to the SL300 on VHF having some great range
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Have either of you done any tests to determine how much better these radios operate?
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Bill_G wrote:Have either of you done any tests to determine how much better these radios operate?
Nothing "scientific", but I use mine a lot for analog and DMR UHF channels and it's great. The audio output is very good and loud. Battery life is excellent.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

sjxts3000 wrote:
Bill_G wrote:Have either of you done any tests to determine how much better these radios operate?
Nothing "scientific", but I use mine a lot for analog and DMR UHF channels and it's great. The audio output is very good and loud. Battery life is excellent.
Thx!
VE3TUH
What radios do you own?: more than I should...

Post by VE3TUH »

Same here. I have noticed that the vhf sl300, with the stubby antenna, recieves a pretty weak weather station at my location as well or better that my ht1250's with nosepickers. I am guessing that part of the antenna must be built into the radio case or body. Good idea if so, and I am pretty impressed with that little radio.
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

There does appear to be some sort of internal antenna looking thing on the back of the case in a SL300 VHF.

I am pretty impressed with mine so far, but only had it a few days mostly analog.

Tried to get a layer deeper, but the circuit board did not want to release easy, and didn't want to mess around too much not knowing what I am doing in that radio.

We have a bunch of SL7550 UHF radios deployed, and have also been impressed with the range compared to the XPR6550's also deployed. No scientific testing has been done here though.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”