XPR4580 Smartnet Talkgroup to CDM1550 Conventional?

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

XPR4580 Smartnet Talkgroup to CDM1550 Conventional?

Post by RADIO43 »

Group,

I gave up on the Maxtrac for this and was able to acquire a XPR4580. So here is what I would like to do. XPR4580 Smartnet System Talkgroup to a CDM15550 Conventional Channel.... Would like it to be bi-directional repeating and I am using the MRE RT-2TA Controller which work great.

So here is where I am at:

-Conventional Channel on XPR4580 to Conventional Channel on CDM1550 works great going in both directions, so my pins are correct.
-Conventional Channel on CDM1550 transmits onto the Smartnet Talkgroup that is on the XPR4580, great!
-Smartnet Talkgroup on XPR4580 will NOT transmit onto the Conventional Channel on CDM1550, ugh!

Here is the weird part.... If I leave the XPR4580 on a conventional channel and place the radio is scan (talkgroup scan) and the radio lands on the any of the talkgroup in scan list, the cdm1550 transmits the talkgroup audio over the conventional channel.

I do have pin 21 on XPR4580 set to PL/Talkgroup Detect, Low, and No Debounce. So I don't believe it could be that.

Could AGC being enabled have something to do with this? I am stumped..

radio43
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!
wavetar
Administrator

Re: XPR4580 Smartnet Talkgroup to CDM1550 Conventional?

Post by wavetar »

I had to look back at some old notes to confirm. Your issue is that Pin 21 only works as a Talkgroup detect in digital mode, ie: Capacity Plus / Linked Capacity Plus. It does not provide it in SmartNet mode. That said, you stumbled upon somewhat of a workaround with the scan allowing it to work. I was using an IP223 as the controller, so I was able to use VOX on the XPR side to get things working. I seems like you are wiring the radios directly to one another without a controller. You can buy an inexpensive VOX hobby kit, like in this link, to do the job:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/ck257b-voi ... h-vox.html

Just remove the mic element & wire one of the external speaker leads to the mic input of the board, maybe through a 1uF electrolytic capacitor to block any DC voltage.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RADIO43
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: 900 MHZ APX4000

Re: XPR4580 Smartnet Talkgroup to CDM1550 Conventional?

Post by RADIO43 »

wavetar,

That is what I was thinking as far as the "Talkgroup" reference part of that pin. I am actually using the MRE RT-2TA Controller which works great. I had read somewhere else about running a lead off one of the speaker leads into the controller since the XPR has DC Voltage on the speaker lead? I believe if that works, I would not need the VOX Circuit.

Thank you sir and let me know if I am correct about that lead off one of speaker leads into the controller.

radio43
In Time of Crisis, You will Not Rise to the Occasion but Rather Default to your Level of Training!

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”