Trbo repeater, Bonked out

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RF_Burns

Trbo repeater, Bonked out

Post by RF_Burns »

Hi
Anyone else getting this problem with a MotoTrbo repeater system in digital mode... Customer has complained that lately, increasingly when the key up they get Bonked out rather than a go-ahead tone.
No, the repeater is not busy, watched for that. Doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason for it.

I was wondering if it wasn't caused by multi-path distorting the signal within the building, but then it should have been causing problems from the start.

Also, there seems to be issues with some people's voices coming through quiet and others coming through very loud. We have the Impress speaker/mics (enhanced audio?) on the units.

Thoughts?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Trbo repeater, Bonked out

Post by escomm »

What is the firmware version in the repeater? There have been about 15 firmware updates since TRBO was released. Many of the issues are critical issues but I've noticed they tend to deal with audio not being passed or transmitted by the various TRBO radios.

As for the voice issues, thank the DSP. Just like on Astro radios, it's far from perfect. Even on analog operation, there is a definitely noticeable delay from the time you talk into the mic on a radio and it comes out the other end. There is no such delay with true analog radios. Of course the delay is much more pronounced when running digital and the communications are not "real time"
RF_Burns

Post by RF_Burns »

The repeater is 01.01.50 and the portables are 01.01.00

The equipment shipped from Motorola end of Nov/07 AFTER the latest firmware was released. We just installed another in-plant system with the newer firmware, we'll see how that one works.
There was nothing in the firmware release notes about troubles accessing the repeater that I saw.

Might have to play with the Free Channel Criteria.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Latest firmware is 01.02.02, fwiw
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

RF_Burns wrote:Might have to play with the Free Channel Criteria.
Try that. So far I've been setting everything to "always", otherwise I was getting bonks at odd times for no apparent reason as well.

Are you using different groups? In reading the CPS help files, if group "A" accesses the repeater, then group "B" is locked out (assuming the same slot) for the duration of the group hang time.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RF_Burns

Post by RF_Burns »

Its set to Channel Free right now, maybe were just getting "busy channel" from computer noise etc...

There is just one talk group per time slot so we could set it to "Always" in this case, however I think I'll try "colour Code free" instead. That should only busy me out if there is another talkgroup (in the future) using it.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”