XTL5000 - Random "Fail 001" on TX

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sheldon

XTL5000 - Random "Fail 001" on TX

Post by sheldon »

I have an XTL5000 W3 UHF 380-470MHz unit that randomly gives me "Fail 001" when trying to TX on OOB (+7MHz) channels. Whats really weird though is after the radio has been on for atleast 15-20 mins, the radio in question TXs with no issues and puts out a strong signal (confirmed with service monitor).

Any ideas what is the cause of the radio doing this randomly? Can it be adjusted with the Tuner software maybe?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Jim202

Re: XTL5000 - Random "Fail 001" on TX

Post by Jim202 »

sheldon wrote:I have an XTL5000 W3 UHF 380-470MHz unit that randomly gives me "Fail 001" when trying to TX on OOB (+7MHz) channels. Whats really weird though is after the radio has been on for atleast 15-20 mins, the radio in question TXs with no issues and puts out a strong signal (confirmed with service monitor).

Any ideas what is the cause of the radio doing this randomly? Can it be adjusted with the Tuner software maybe?

Any help greatly appreciated.

My first guess is that you might have an alignment issue with the VCO. Cold weather brings out the best, I mean the weakest links in any radio.

Jim
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

I saw this once with a brand new XTL1500, we couldn't believe it could be the new radio so we swapped in a 2nd new radio and had same problem. Turned out to be an issue with the antenna/coax.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

The VCOs in modern Motorola radios are just sensitive to temperature extremes when pushed out of their rated bandsplits. I had a 900 MHz MCS once that would go FAIL 001 at 927 MHz whenever it dropped below around 45F, but came right back after it warmed up. Some radios do it, others don't. It's just the nature of the beast.

Besides, do you really want to spend all that money to listen to JD call people f***wits and threaten to bash them in front of the magistrate? :lol:

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”