XTL 5000 Control Head Issue

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cguszack
New User

XTL 5000 Control Head Issue

Post by cguszack »

Okay so I've done some research on this issue and i still can't figure it out. I have an XTL 5000 7/800 that I bought as a dash mount O5 and converted to remote mount O5. The unit powers on with ignition and is functional, but after some time on, the unit no longer responds to ignition sense. So it either won't shut off when i turn my truck off, or it shut off previously and then won't turn on when i return. I can't manually turn it on or off either when this happens. The radio still functions completely normally when it is stuck on, but i lose any control over power until I disconnect the head entirely from 12v and reconnect it. The head does it on both of the 5000s I have installed in my truck so I don't think it is an issue with the radio itself. The control head is HLN1467A and the CHIB is HLN1468B. According to previous posts regarding control head issues and the break in manufacturing these part numbers should be compatible. Oddly enough I never get any fail codes on power up either. I've tried to do a control head sync on CPS and initially I thought the issue was fixed but sure enough after a few hours of sitting I came back and the radio refused to start up. For now I have the radio programmed for ignition only power up and have the 12v lead on the control head switching with ignition, and this seems to be an okay work around for the moment but obviously I would like my radios to function properly.

Needless to say, I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

Chris
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: XTL 5000 Control Head Issue

Post by jmr061 »

There are two power wires on the control head along with a ground. How are all of them hooked up?

Jason
cguszack
New User

Post by cguszack »

originally the red was to 12v constant, yellow to ignition, and black to ground, all in the console. the drawer to 12v constant as well, underneath the rear seat. I like to use soft power off so I did it this way. Now just for a temporary fix i have the problem head wired with both the ignition and constant wires switched by ignition and the radio programmed for ignition only power up. This seems to work for now, but it's not the way i'd like it. i have another xtl5000 wired up the original way and that radio works without a hitch. also like i said previously, the problem CH does it with either radio.
kf6ohr
New User

Post by kf6ohr »

You converted it into remote mount did you take the ignition sense wire off the back of the radio? when the radio is in remote config it use the ignition sense on the control head ( the yellow wire ). Take the red wire off the acc. plug.
cguszack
New User

Post by cguszack »

yup, did that. don't even have the accessory plug in my possession, let alone installed.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

cguszack wrote:Okay so I've done some research on this issue and i still can't figure it out. I have an XTL 5000 7/800 that I bought as a dash mount O5 and converted to remote mount O5. The unit powers on with ignition and is functional, but after some time on, the unit no longer responds to ignition sense. So it either won't shut off when i turn my truck off, or it shut off previously and then won't turn on when i return. I can't manually turn it on or off either when this happens. The radio still functions completely normally when it is stuck on, but i lose any control over power until I disconnect the head entirely from 12v and reconnect it. The head does it on both of the 5000s I have installed in my truck so I don't think it is an issue with the radio itself. The control head is HLN1467A and the CHIB is HLN1468B. According to previous posts regarding control head issues and the break in manufacturing these part numbers should be compatible. Oddly enough I never get any fail codes on power up either. I've tried to do a control head sync on CPS and initially I thought the issue was fixed but sure enough after a few hours of sitting I came back and the radio refused to start up. For now I have the radio programmed for ignition only power up and have the 12v lead on the control head switching with ignition, and this seems to be an okay work around for the moment but obviously I would like my radios to function properly.

Needless to say, I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

Sorry but i do not have any specifics but i think there may have been am FSB on various ignition sense
problems with the XTL line and the cure was for a firmware refresh. Its been about a year or so since
i had to deal with it.
Chris
fineshot1
NJ USA
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

cguszack wrote:originally the red was to 12v constant, yellow to ignition, and black to ground, all in the console. the drawer to 12v constant as well, underneath the rear seat. I like to use soft power off so I did it this way. Now just for a temporary fix i have the problem head wired with both the ignition and constant wires switched by ignition and the radio programmed for ignition only power up. This seems to work for now, but it's not the way i'd like it. i have another xtl5000 wired up the original way and that radio works without a hitch. also like i said previously, the problem CH does it with either radio.
The power wire needs to see 12v+, or the brick will draw current when it no longer sees the head, set you soft power off to "required", hook up the brick to 12v+ and see if that fixes the issue. It could be a fw issue as well, but try the electrical connections first.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The brick can't draw current when all power sources are switched. Just sayin'
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

escomm wrote:The brick can't draw current when all power sources are switched. Just sayin'
Then you may want to re read the OP's post #3 in this thread....... just sayin'
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

spectragod wrote:
escomm wrote:The brick can't draw current when all power sources are switched. Just sayin'
I did reread it. He had it wired properly to begin with. Right there in the first sentence of that post. You saw that, right? His workaround was to have everything running from switched power. Either way, neither set up would result in the brick drawing any juice, Just sayin'

The problem likely lies with the firmware, or voltage levels from the vehicle. OP, what's your firmware version? Have you put a volt meter on your power sources at all with the vehicle off, starting up, and running?
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

escomm wrote:
spectragod wrote:
I did reread it. He had it wired properly to begin with. Right there in the first sentence of that post. You saw that, right? His workaround was to have everything running from switched power. Either way, neither set up would result in the brick drawing any juice, Just sayin'

The problem likely lies with the firmware, or voltage levels from the vehicle. OP, what's your firmware version? Have you put a volt meter on your power sources at all with the vehicle off, starting up, and running?
When the brick has 12v+, and doesn't see the head, it will draw current. Found this on another shop's install, a Moto Engineer confirmed this after I called.

If he is using one of the early version heads with a late FW radio, it will cause the same issues.

Post by spectragod »

cguszack wrote:originally the red was to 12v constant, yellow to ignition, and black to ground, all in the console. the drawer to 12v constant as well, underneath the rear seat. I like to use soft power off so I did it this way. Now just for a temporary fix i have the problem head wired with both the ignition and constant wires switched by ignition and the radio programmed for ignition only power up. This seems to work for now, but it's not the way i'd like it. i have another xtl5000 wired up the original way and that radio works without a hitch. also like i said previously, the problem CH does it with either radio.
I must have missed this part..................

Post by cguszack »

oh yeah I know about the radio drawing power when it doesn't see the head, definitely have seen that before. I reprogrammed it for ignition only power up right now to avoid that problem (the drawer is still on constant 12v, but theoretically i shouldn't have any draw on the battery with the current programming). Anyways, getting into firmware is a new thing for me, i don't know much about it. I can install and program like a pro, but I haven't done firmware upgrades. I tried to do a control head sync using a CH_BF file, which didn't fix the problem. When i go into service mode, it tells me the radio is host version 15, but then it says ch host S11 something. don't know if that counts as a firmware upgrade or not, this is where i'm lost

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”