XTL1500 Beep then Constant tone

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

XTL1500 Beep then Constant tone

Post by NSPD »

I have an XTL1500 that suffered some minor water damage and was powering up to a Fail 01/90. I took a dremel to the inside of the radio and polished up the main board to remove the corrosion, and removed the corrosion from the radio frame. The radio powers up now, and I can access the menus and change channels.

It now has an intermittent problem where after a while (and it gets warm) the radio will beep once, and then make a constant tone. During this time, nothing happens on the display and menu options are still accessible. I am thinking this may be a temperature alarm of some kind, but I am wondering if anyone has encountered this before?

Thanks!
Jake
Jim202

Re: XTL1500 Beep then Constant tone

Post by Jim202 »

NSPD wrote:I have an XTL1500 that suffered some minor water damage and was powering up to a Fail 01/90. I took a dremel to the inside of the radio and polished up the main board to remove the corrosion, and removed the corrosion from the radio frame. The radio powers up now, and I can access the menus and change channels.

It now has an intermittent problem where after a while (and it gets warm) the radio will beep once, and then make a constant tone. During this time, nothing happens on the display and menu options are still accessible. I am thinking this may be a temperature alarm of some kind, but I am wondering if anyone has encountered this before?

Thanks!

Put a watt meter on the radio and make sure the radio is not transmitting. the time out timer will give a short beep just before it shuts down the transmitter and then keep the tone going until the TX is un keyed.

Jim
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Re: XTL1500 Beep then Constant tone

Post by NSPD »

As far as I can determine it is not transmitting.

I think this one may be destined for the scrap pile...
Jake

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”