Astro Spectra rear control head vs. rear mic and speaker

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wes

Astro Spectra rear control head vs. rear mic and speaker

Post by Wes »

Hi to all,

I have a customer who has recently taken delivery of some used (new to them) Astro Spectra 800 MHz radios with the W9 control heads. These are all currently set up to operate as single head remote mount radios. They are to be installed in ambulances and require a minimum of a rear mic and speaker in the patient compartment. The Astro Spectra is new to me as far as configuring external/extra accessories. I am familiar with adding rear mics and speakers to a plethora of other Motorola, Kenwood and Vertex radios via their respective accessory connectors but not the Astro Spectra.

My question is what will be the simplest, cost effective option with these radios? From what I have read, the necessary connections are on the DB15 provided certain jumpers are configured correctly inside the radio. I don't mind building up the cables, I'm already used to that. Or, should I try to locate a second control cable, head, mic and speaker and re-configure the radios for dual head operation? If I go this route, do both heads have to be W9 or can they be mixed and matched? Also is re-programming them for dual head operation all there is to making it work or do I need additional boards or interfaces inside the radios?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions and advice!

Wes
Wes Hutchens
911 Telecommunicator/2-Way Sales & Service
Wes

Re: Astro Spectra rear control head vs. rear mic and speaker

Post by Wes »

Anyone???
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

To run dual heads they have to be the same control head (ie in this case W9). The rear head is HCN1121 I believe (of the top of my head). You would need the rear head control cable and VIP speaker pod assembly (switches audio between front and rear since the audio driver in the radio is designed to only drive one speaker). Nothing special needed to program them as dual head.

Jason
Wes

Post by Wes »

Jason,

I'm familiar with the VIP audio connection for dual heads. Are you saying that if i had the cable, second head, VIP audio connector, mic and speaker that it will all be plug and play by simply reprogramming the radio as a dual head?

Wes
Wes Hutchens
wx4cbh

Post by wx4cbh »

Yep, pretty much plug and play. If you have the rear W9 head, the rear control cable, speaker and mic, VIP device, and a grounded mic hanger for HUB function, if desired, then all it requires are the correct selections in the software with a control head button programmed for the front/rear toggle function. The rear head cable on mine is HKN4378B, looks identical to the normal HKN4356 except for the lack of the green and orange wires, and goes to the second DB25 connector on the remote face on the drawer unit.
curmudgeon.....and I like it.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Thanks for the help guys!
Wes Hutchens

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”