APX 7500 and 03 Multi Control Head

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Bnsheets
New User

APX 7500 and 03 Multi Control Head

Post by Bnsheets »

I have an APX 7500 Dual Band Radio. I am attempting to add a 2nd Control head. I have changed the Codeplug to allow Multi Control Heads with up to 2 heads. Both control heads are 03s. When I flash the code plug I get the following error "CH ID # ERR".

Any suggestions?
TXDirt
wavetar
Administrator

Re: APX 7500 and 03 Multi Control Head

Post by wavetar »

Yes, there is a procedure to put the control heads into a test mode of sorts, and you need to assign each control head with a unique CH#. I will try to remember to post the instructions tomorrow when I'm back in the office.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bnsheets
New User

Post by Bnsheets »

Ok thank you! I have not been able to find those instructions.
TXDirt
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Don't think this will be happening with O3 heads?? From ECAT:
What is an APX 7500 O5 Multiple Control Head Configuration?

The APX 7500 mobile radio and the O5 control head can be configured in a multi control head configuration to support up to 4 control heads on a single transceiver. This allows control of a single APX 7500 transceiver from up to 4 different control head locations. The O5 control head is the only control head that supports multiple control head configurations with up to 4 control heads.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

escomm is right, only confirmed on O5 (O2/O7/O9 still TBD, well at least I can't get an answer).
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Ah, I missed the fact it was O3 control heads the OP was using. Oh well, here is the procedure for future reference...this is for the XTL2500 BTW...not sure if it transfers to the APX line or not. Hopefully it helps someone out at some point.

- Connect 1 control head to radio as normal
- Connect the 2nd control head with power & data cable to head only (not to radio)...and yes, plug the data cable into the head, or otherwise it won't go into the proper test mode.
- Turn on power while holding the orange button and the lower left grey buttons in
- When the radio turns on CH ID 1 should be on the display then turn the channel selector to the CH ID 2 , then turn the power off to radio and connect the blue data cable to the radio and power on the radio and displays should power up properly.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

Although it doesn't solve the OP issue... there is an updated eCat..
The APX 7500 mobile radio and the O5 control head can be configured in a multi control head configuration to support up to 4 control heads on a single transceiver. This allows control of a single APX 7500 transceiver from up to 4 different control head locations. The O5, O2 and O7 control heads are the only control head that supports multiple control head configurations with up to 4 control heads.
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Thanks TPG

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”