apx 7000 new housing

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cmac76
New User

apx 7000 new housing

Post by cmac76 »

i did some searching on here but did not find out what i was looking for. if i recase my apx 7000 will it have any effect on the intrinsic safety of the radio?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: apx 7000 new housing

Post by escomm »

Yes
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

That is untrue. IS ratings are the equivalent of buying insurance. It's a sticker on the radio. Properly swapping parts 1 for 1 does not nullify its IS rating. Doing it wrong can.
-werdnuts

VoIP# BAT-CRAP (2727)
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

werdnuts wrote:That is untrue. IS ratings are the equivalent of buying insurance. It's a sticker on the radio. Properly swapping parts 1 for 1 does not nullify its IS rating. Doing it wrong can.
This is so wrong that I'd consider asking Alex to delete your comments so these boards don't perpetuate this horseshit on future Google searches. There is a reason Factory Mutual has a very extensive (and expensive) qualification process for shops to obtain FM certification. If it were as easy as you say, Factory Mutual would be out of business.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

On IS radios IIRC if you open the case it actually cracks the retaining tabs so it cant be re-used. I had a HT1000 that was IS and the tabs broke when it was opened for a board swap. Had to buy a regular case to finish the repair.
IS radios have to meet a lot of standards.
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Let's clarify... which IS and/or IP level are we talking about here?
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

IS and IP ratings are not the same. Tabs? On an HT1000? I used to sell the :o and we serviced it. Unless the new radios have something on them, there were no tabs.
-werdnuts

VoIP# BAT-CRAP (2727)
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

werdnuts is correct. I've re-cased an APX 7000...there are no tabs that break when you remove the case. Seals...that's another story.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Tell me... How does one recase an APX7000 without taking the screws that secure the housing to the chassis out? How would you not expose the guts to the world??
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

Well, ya, the screws (6 total) have to be removed (obviously)... but there's no "tabs" that break when you remove the housing cover. You can possibly break the housing cover is you bend it too far, though (plastic deformation). It's a scary thing when you re-case an APX 6K/7K the first time as you feel like you're doing to bend the cover permanently (especially when putting the new case "on").
I found it easier to remove the side cover, then the battery, then the speak 4 screws that are visible there... then remove the speaker grille, then the two screws that hold in the rest of the chassis (and the speaker) together, then turn out over and "stretch" the cover outward and lift away. Do this with the display module facing "up" and it makes it easier because that module is going to fall out (and possibly break) if you do it with it facing down or sideways, etc. Just have to bend it far enough to clear the side data port. If you have the service manual, it covers this process as well.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

For a radio to maintain FM/IS certification, it must be tracked from birth to death. It should always be maintained by an FM approved shop, and must be periodically retested. If you don't have the history on the radio... if you haven't done your PMs... if the radio has ever been opened (beyond tossing a new battery or speaker mic on)... then it's no longer certified.

Yes, recasing your APX will absolutely trash the rating.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”