Recording/Tone Generator on XTL 1500

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

eastfire510
New User

Recording/Tone Generator on XTL 1500

Post by eastfire510 »

I work for a small PD and our dispatch center uses an XTL 1500 as our main radio. Is there a way to record radio traffic from the radio itself? I'm also curious if would could generate a tone to alert the officers of a call. Anyone have any experience on how to do it without investing a ton of money?
Jim202

Re: Recording/Tone Generator on XTL 1500

Post by Jim202 »

eastfire510 wrote:I work for a small PD and our dispatch center uses an XTL 1500 as our main radio. Is there a way to record radio traffic from the radio itself? I'm also curious if would could generate a tone to alert the officers of a call. Anyone have any experience on how to do it without investing a ton of money?

There is a fixed level RX audio output on the accessory connector that could be used to go to a logging recorder. There is a DC bias on the line so use a coupling capacitor in series with the connection.

Jim
eastfire510
New User

Post by eastfire510 »

Will that only record the incoming radio traffic or will it also catch our broadcasts as well?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

eastfire510 wrote:Will that only record the incoming radio traffic or will it also catch our broadcasts as well?

RX audio only. There is no way to record the TX audio the way the radio is made.

If this is set up as a remote radio connection with a tone panel, that is a whole different story. But you have not indicated that.

Jim
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Actually these is a special recording adapter from Motorola see:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=cable

I've used it now on both the XTL5k and the 2k5 and confirmed it works to record out both transmit and receive. I can't say for sure it'll work on a 1k5 but since the brick is the same I expect it would, worst case you could trade up.
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

The HKN6187 cable with the recording out will only function on a remote mounted control head, which is not an option for the XTL1500.

As for the alert tone, I haven't personally tried it on a XTL1500, but the rest of the series has the "evacuation tone" feature. (Enabled in CPS: Radio Wide -> Advanced). If you push the emergency button while keying the mic it will produce a alternating tone on conventional analog channels.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”