Astro Saber UHF model 1 low beep on start up

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Astro Saber UHF model 1 low beep on start up

Post by MT2000 man »

Good day all,

I've had this UHF Astro Saber model 1 UHF for quite awhile. I went to turn it on the other day and ( after the green light on the top went out ) it gave a low pitched beep. What does this mean ? The radio still works 100% great. I thought it was possibly the battery that was fried, since I left it on the charger for probably close to 3 weeks and the light on the charger was flashing orange. So, no big deal, I have a fresh battery off my other Astro Saber, I plop that on, and the same thing happens ( low error tone beep ). It reads / writes to the computer fine, etc. So I have no idea what the issue is.

Oh, and on said batteries ( on both batteries actually ) even though I know the second battery is fantastic ( I use it on my 800MHZ model III all the time and lasts for 3 days ) I put the same battery on the model 1, go to transmit and it gives a low battery tone, and the light flashes red. Almost like it thinks the battery is dead, when it's really not.

Did I fry something in this radio by leaving it on the charger too long ? I would think it would be isolated to just the battery that I had left on the charger, but it appears to be doing it on other ( good ) batteries as well.

Any thoughts >
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: Astro Saber UHF model 1 low beep on start up

Post by N4KVE »

When that happens to me, it's because some switch is set to unprogrammed, instead of blank. GARY
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Hmmm, just checked the codeplug and sure enough, there was two switches programmed as "unprogrammed". I changed it to "blank" but she still does the low beep :( Eh, oh well. It works, and that's all I care about lol
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

MT2000 man wrote:Hmmm, just checked the codeplug and sure enough, there was two switches programmed as "unprogrammed". I changed it to "blank" but she still does the low beep :( Eh, oh well. It works, and that's all I care about lol
Do you have anything programmed to a switch such as scan or encryption? If you power the radio up in a mode that doesn't have a scanlist or secure mode associated, and the switch is in the enable position you will get a single bonk.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”