Uniden Digital Scanner Feed

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Re: Uniden Digital Scanner Feed

Post by Josh »

How can this be? The digital scanners (supposedly) haven't been shipped yet.

-Josh
Josh

Post by Josh »

r0f wrote:It's a pre-release model for dealer testing. There were a few that got sent out.

It's not BS.

Shaun
I never said it was BS.

I just didn't know that they sent some out for beta testing and the user set it up on the internet for all to hear.

The audio sounds pretty good, I guess it has a lot to do with the lack of buzzing that the XTS3000 exhibits receiving audio.

I'd be willing to bet, however, that the new digital scanners may be like all scanners (or at least all of the scanners I've used) Lacking in receive sensitivity on the higher frequency ranges, lousy audio (which does get masked over the internet), and lousy interference rejection.

I may have to get one and see. That audio feed is almost like a promotion for the darn receivers!

-Josh
Josh

Post by Josh »

r0f wrote:I agree. I also believe that the scanner will have some firmware issues.. And of course Uniden will not have an "easy fix" for the user. A bug that I've already discovered on the 785d, is that it does not mute encrypted talkgroup audio. You'll hear crap coming out of the speaker if it stops on an encrypted astro talkgroup. Uniden could've easily fixed this, by having the radio mute the speaker if status-bit 8 is detected for the active talkgroup, but no.. They left it wide open. Why? Lazy I guess.

For anyone who hasn't heard what encrypted astro sounds like (without the key), it's very annoying. Random high/low tones, resembling a botched audio codec.

Shaun
Can you make a recording? I'd love to hear it!

-Josh
Josh

Post by Josh »

Cool, thanks. You're right- it sounds like crap.

I know that the MSP has some encrypted talkgroups, however, when listening in conventionally, in digital CSQ, if an encrypted conversation came up, would the radio unmute it in this mode?

I am going to guess not as I have yet to hear a sample sounding similar too that on my radio as of yet.

-Josh
Matt
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XTL5000

Post by Matt »

Sorry to say, but it kinda sounds like a Nextel that has a weak signal.

On the Firmware Issues: There are almost always some big bugs in the first couple of releases, then they get the minor problems fixed, right?
Matt
Josh

Post by Josh »

Matt wrote:Sorry to say, but it kinda sounds like a Nextel that has a weak signal.

On the Firmware Issues: There are almost always some big bugs in the first couple of releases, then they get the minor problems fixed, right?
That's a good question.

Analog trunking scanners have been around for a while, do they mute the encrypted traffic on other systems? If the answer is no, then they probably won't fix this fatal flaw.

-Josh
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The link has stopped working as of a day or two ago. Any chance it will be restored?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I take it that the link is now permanently down?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I just tried it, worked for me. You need Quicktime installed on your system, at least, that's what automatically played it within my browser.

Todd
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

So the Baltimore Police FDMA audio is working, real time? (I'm NOT talking about the voice sample)
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

I got it open right now...all I'm hearing is air traffic.

scratch that....got some PD traffic in there now, too.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I just checked it. The link is now working again, but it sure ain't digital traffic!
Pretty distorted analog traffic.

Wonder if there is anyway to get the digital Bearcat hooked up again to Baltimore PD?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The Uniden digital scanner feed to Baltimore PD is now permanently down.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”