Astro Spectra W4 Backlight

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Code3
Batboard $upporter

Astro Spectra W4 Backlight

Post by Code3 »

Its there a way to enable the button backlight on an Astro Spectra without pressing the DIM button, and bringing the display brightness down one level?

I have my conventional spectras set up with default backlight, and the Astro looks a little odd beside them all.

Is there a solder jumper, or something else I could use to do this?

Thanks
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

I don't think that option is available; under F4 Change/View - F3 Radio Wide, F6 Display Options - there's a Save Dim State you can enable/disable. This is on a W9 head - I don't know if it is different for the 4.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

I saw that option, that will work, for now.

Let me clarify, I want the display on full brightness, at the same time as having the buttons backlit
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

That's what I sent back to you, I guess someone beat me to it!

I don't think you can do the same thing then. We just got some W5's in and are going to be programmed this week. I'll play with them, but I don't think it will work.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

I guess there is no software option to do what I want.

I know there is a constant backlight jumper for the analog spectra on the head

Does anybody have a service drawing for the W4 head?
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

I'm going from memory here - but I think that from full display brightness, with no buttons backlit - the first push of the dim button keeps the display at full brightness and turns on the button backlighting. Then next push dims the display 1 level, and so on.

I am thinking that if you push the dim button until it cycles to full display brightness, no buttons lit - then 1 more dim button push will give you what you want. Then if you turn off the radio, it should come back up in that state. If you wanted, you could take out the Dim button, and push in with an insulated tool to get to the state you want - that way it couldn't be changed (if that's a worry).

Jack

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The problem with the Astro spectra is that on the first press, the backlight comes on and automatically dim's, unlike the spectra's which stays on full brightness with the backlight on, on first press.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

That figures - I have 3 A7 Spectras in the truck, and only 1 Astro W9. So my memory is a little skewed.

And the only book I have is on the Spectra heads, not the Astro heads.

Jack

Code3
Batboard $upporter

Post by Code3 »

Just a follow up for the record:

All that was required was to remove JU16, and install JU17 in the control head.
The board layout is almost identical to the Analog Spectra series.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”