Astro Saber Display Flex question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Astro Saber Display Flex question

Post by willbartlett »

Does anyone know if the flex circut cable from an astro saber display is available as a seperate part? Anyone know a part # or price?

Will
akardam

Post by akardam »

Item Number. 8402803X01
FLEX DISPLAY
Unit of Measure: 1 EA
This item will no longer be available upon depletion of the current stock.
Available Y
List price 16.25
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Must be thinking of using it on those Astro Spectra W3 displays listed on Ebay. :)

Jason
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Yeah, They're astro saber displays, near as I can tell. Off to MOL I go...

Will
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

Since they look just like the one on my Astro Saber III, I ordered one of the displays from him and placed a order to Moto for a flex cable and a Astro Saber III case to convert my VHF I to a III. I sure hope they work!
Any body have a good VHF III code plug thats readable in a old version of you know what.

My old VSLEP radio is:

Host 3.20.01
DSP I05.00.18
Flashcode 0000010000009
1 meg controller
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Wouldnt you also have to get a front shield that has the keypad or does a I model have that already?

Not to mention the ribbon cable is soldered onto the display, fine skills needed there.

Jason
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

My VHF model I already has the keyboard attached to the front shield. Strange thing is that two of my later model I's do no have the keyboard overlay attached to the front shields. The soldering doesn't look to be big problem. Hopefully they are the same PCB and the flex cable will attach to these displays. The PCB shape looks the same in the picture. I don't mind wasting 10 bucks on a display, but $100 for the new case sure would hurt!

Billy
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

Looks like all the flex cables are now gone. I called parts today and they had one in stock, so I ordered it. Thanks guys for the heads up on this item. I found another seller of this item on Ebay and he had some real good pictures of the displays. As far as I could tell they are identical. Even right down to the PCB part number. I can't wait to get my display and see if it works!
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

I Just got my 2 flex's in today, I'll try them out tonight. I'll report back soon. Looks like I should have ordered more....

Will
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

It appears to work just like an astro saber board. Hope you all got some flex cables.

Will
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

I suppose the only other question is what is the keypad membrane part Number. Everybody stick to one apiece, okay :D

Will
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

The part number maybe 4005361w01, that's the part number on my overlay.
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

Looks like they're still available, $4.60 each. Just ordered mine.

Will
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

Parts Dept now claims to have 31 flex cables. They must have found some more. When I ordered they only showed one in stock.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”