AS3 keypad problems

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

redbeard
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Yaesu

AS3 keypad problems

Post by redbeard »

Hey guys, I started having a wierd issue with my keypad. It seems the top row of buttons works with no problem, but then the next row down would not function at all. The DTMF pad seemed fine at that point but now it doesn't work either, or if it does it will randomly activate the function of one of the upper rows. I checked the flex for physical damage and also tried swapping the front from another but still no luck. Could it be the membrane over the contacts? I only have the one so I had to transfer it to the other front when I swapped them.

Thanks,
Shawn
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Post by RESCUE161 »

I'd say that's the problem. They are cheap (less than $4.00).

Part # 4005361W01
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

I have the same problem with my two radios. It started when I recased them with new cases I ordered from Motorola. If I leave the bottom screws slightly loose so the case doesn't go comepletely on it works fine. But after a little use the radio becomes intermittent because the gnd side of the power contacts are not being squeezed hard enough to make good contact. I had to use some thin washers under the rubber gromments to shim the case slightly to make a permanent fix. Now it won't program sometimes because the washers are preventing the programming contacts form making good contact. I have to remove the washers to allow it to program. So I haven't found a good solution yet. My old cases work fine. Problem seems to be that the new cases are slight different or outta spec maybe.
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

bwigg wrote:I have the same problem with my two radios. It started when I recased them with new cases I ordered from Motorola. If I leave the bottom screws slightly loose so the case doesn't go comepletely on it works fine. But after a little use the radio becomes intermittent because the gnd side of the power contacts are not being squeezed hard enough to make good contact. I had to use some thin washers under the rubber gromments to shim the case slightly to make a permanent fix. Now it won't program sometimes because the washers are preventing the programming contacts form making good contact. I have to remove the washers to allow it to program. So I haven't found a good solution yet. My old cases work fine. Problem seems to be that the new cases are slight different or outta spec maybe.
Eh, I tried loosening them and tightening them in various order and no dice. It must be the keypad overlay, I didn't clean the front shield off before applying it so maybe it's contaminated with skin oil or something. I'll order a couple more and see what happens.
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

redbeard wrote:Eh, I tried loosening them and tightening them in various order and no dice. It must be the keypad overlay, I didn't clean the front shield off before applying it so maybe it's contaminated with skin oil or something. I'll order a couple more and see what happens.
So took a front shield from a model 1 with no overlay on it previously. Cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol, and affixed the overlay. Lined it up perfectly with the holes and so forth. Still have the same problem, intermittant key operation.

Should I maybe have roughed up the gold contacts on the front shield before applying the overlay? I may heat it with a heat gun and remove it and try it just for kicks.

It's really bugging me, when trying to change zones and such.
bwigg

Post by bwigg »

As I mentioned in a earlier response, my radio has a factory applied overlay and it still would not work with my new case. I think something is not quite right with the cases Motorola supplied us. The radio works fine with the original case. But the original case is scratched up pretty bad and I wanted a new case. I don't know quite how to solve the problem right at the moment. But as of right now I have close to $275 tied up in new cases that don't work right.
redbeard

Post by redbeard »

bwigg wrote:As I mentioned in a earlier response, my radio has a factory applied overlay and it still would not work with my new case. I think something is not quite right with the cases Motorola supplied us. The radio works fine with the original case. But the original case is scratched up pretty bad and I wanted a new case. I don't know quite how to solve the problem right at the moment. But as of right now I have close to $275 tied up in new cases that don't work right.
That could be the problem. I never had an original case to try though. The PTT seems a little off on my new case so maybe they are crap. Can parts be sent back for exchange? Mine is only a month or so old...
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

I recased a model I into a model III, and continue to have no problems with the radio's keypad operation.

This phenomenon, which I have been following in this thread is pretty odd... I was waiting for the symptoms you describe to occur to me, but so far absolutely nothing. The radio is great.

-Josh

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”