AS3 Speaker "Echo" problem

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rayjk110
Banned

AS3 Speaker "Echo" problem

Post by Rayjk110 »

I've got an AS3 here D05.01.01 DSPN06.04.09 - with a 4f1e flash code (altho *not* a 'nick' radio, I've even got the original box for the radio....) It's UHF "R" 403-470 split.

The problem is, is that with the volume up anything past half, it seems like there's a reverb in the speaker, or loud tones (MDC/loud voice) seem to produce an "echo" effect. There's also a slight medium/high pitched tone that seems to be present at all times on carrier. I'm really hoping that this isn't the vocon about to crap, but moreso I'm hoping that it's an old DSP/Host issue (Which I will have upgraded in a few days to 8.03.03....)

??
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: AS3 Speaker "Echo" problem

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I have two 3Ks and a 5K and they ALL sound
"echo-y" on receive, regardless of whether the
radio is receiving an analog or digital signal. I
was told it's just the result of the digital
processing.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
RTESTP25
New User

Post by RTESTP25 »

You may have problem with high level receive audio modulating VCO causing feedback.I have had other radios do this and high volume caused a feedback and it would also be happen when hitting case while receiving a carrier.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

I believe its called microphonics, we had lots of problems with gm300's and maxtracs when they started getting older. The cure was always the same take 'em apart and reseat all the boards, and make sure the shields were tight.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”