Specified file not found - CPS shuts down

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Specified file not found - CPS shuts down

Post by oh2glg »

Hello all.

After a long time again I started Astro Saber/XTS3000 CPS R05.01.00 but I encountered a problem when trying to read from radio:

"Specified file not found"

On that moment I was able to read previously saved files. Then I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling and re-installing the CPS but then it became unworking alltogether. Oh dear.

Now CPS won't even start at all, the "specified file not found"-error comes right after clicking the CPS icon on my desktop.

I'm using CPS with Win 2000.

Has anyone else seen same problem? How can I repair this? Maybe the XML SDK kit that comes with CPS is faulty?
Jussi Strömberg
Ham call: OH2JS/OH2GLG
Bruce1807

Re: Specified file not found - CPS shuts down

Post by Bruce1807 »

Try going through the start menu instead of the short cut.

You may also want to completly remove the program from the control panel and start again
akardam

Post by akardam »

oh2glg wrote:Then I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling and re-installing the CPS but then it became unworking alltogether.
Bruce1807 wrote:Try going through the start menu instead of the short cut.

You may also want to completly remove the program from the control panel and start again
Seeing as he already uninstalled and reinstalled the software, I fail to see that your advice advising him to do what he already did is of any value.

oh2glg,

Do you have any other CPS packages installed on this machine? If so, are you having difficulties with any of them? More specifically, do you have a copy of the Astro Spectra CPS installed on this machine, and is it the same version as the Astro Saber/XTS3k CPS you're having difficulty with?

The CPS packages from Moto have quite a few files in common (found under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola), but that can cause problems with conflicting versions of the common files. In theory each generation of software (Pro CPS, Astro, Astro25) is supposed to maintain its own common files directory but sometimes this doesn't happen.

Worst case scenario, I'd recommend uninstalling all CPS packages, and if you're not faint of heart when it comes to mucking with the guts of your computer, remove any remaining CPS folders under Program Files, remove the Motorola folder in Common Files, and remove any Motorola folders from the software hives in the registry. After that, reinstall just the problem CPS package and give it a whirl.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

fortunatly im not as sensative as some so I don't take offence.

How did he uninstall it? He doen't say hence I added via the control panel.
oh2glg

Post by oh2glg »

akardam wrote:
oh2glg wrote:Then I tried to solve the problem by uninstalling and re-installing the CPS but then it became unworking alltogether.
oh2glg,

Do you have any other CPS packages installed on this machine? If so, are you having difficulties with any of them? More specifically, do you have a copy of the Astro Spectra CPS installed on this machine, and is it the same version as the Astro Saber/XTS3k CPS you're having difficulty with?
Thanks for the tip, but no, there's no other versions of Motorola software on this same laptop.
Bruce1807 wrote:How did he uninstall it? He doen't say hence I added via the control panel.
It was both uninstalled and re-installed from control panel.
Jussi Strömberg
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

As akadam said next move is
Delete the directory below.
c:\\Program Files\Common Files\motorola
If a reinstall doesnt work remove all the Mot keys from the registry but only if you know what your doing (or have been drinking heavily)
oh2glg

Post by oh2glg »

Bruce1807 wrote:As akadam said next move is
Delete the directory below.
c:\\Program Files\Common Files\motorola
If a reinstall doesnt work remove all the Mot keys from the registry but only if you know what your doing (or have been drinking heavily)
Haha.

All right then, I'll try those tricks, but a bit later. I'll post some feedback after I've tried out your hints. Thanks.
Jussi Strömberg
Hightower

Post by Hightower »

Newer CPS packages use DLL & OCX files common to the OS, not CPS. So reinstalling the CPS may not do the trick.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

What software is installed on the machine?

I had ASTRO Portable CPS die like that a while ago after I installed Visual Studio 2005 SP1.
oh2glg

Post by oh2glg »

Sorry for the late return to this topic, but the problem itself still refuses to go away.
mr.syntrx wrote:What software is installed on the machine?

I had ASTRO Portable CPS die like that a while ago after I installed Visual Studio 2005 SP1.
Actually that's a good point, since I do really suspect that this might have something to do with M$ updates. But what comes to the setup of this specific laptop, there's really just what comes with basic install, except of course Winamp, Firefox etc. basic stuff. Between the moments when CPS was working fine and was not working at all I don't recall having anything installed or uninstalled by myself.

So, what have I done since last time? Well, after removing the CPS from Install/Un-install software from Control Panel I removed C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola and searched and removed keys from Registry that I found with keywords like "motorola", "astro", "astroport.exe" etc. After all that I rebooted and tried to re-install the CPS but same result "Specified file not found". Blahh.

I really must admit that there's a lot that I don't know about Win2k, or about Windows alltogether for that matter. Here's one thing that I'm not sure about:
When this "Specified file not found" note comes on the screen with <OK> button on it, after that comes another note (or window, if you will) like:
Window title: "Program error"
Window text: "Proram Astroport.exe has caused errors. Windows will shut it down. Program has to be restarted.//An errorlog will be created" // <OK>

(Text might not be same as it would be with English version of Windows 2000, mine is Finnish and texts above was more or less direct translation)

So, Windows tells that it writes an error log about this event, but where? I couldn't find anything at all from Event viewer.. so where else should I look into?
mr.hightower wrote:Newer CPS packages use DLL & OCX files common to the OS, not CPS. So reinstalling the CPS may not do the trick.
Since CPS seems to open some kind of ´unspecified´ external file of driver, that is 'something and somewhere', I started to wonder: So what else does CPS need from OS? Somekind of support for xml-based database maybe?

Well, maybe i would be easier just to re-install w2k from scratch and start all over again. I'd really hate doing that .. but then again, having a CPS that is more like virtual paper weight is not useful at all.
Jussi Strömberg
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

I had this problem happen a little bit ago when I had multiple CPS applications running at once. (i.e. AstroSaber CPS and Astro25 Mobile CPS both running as I had 2 different radios of mine that I was programming - and consiquently forgot the other app was still running).

For somer reason, one or the other would just not work, and provided a similar error. Try closing all other programs. It worked for my situation. It could just be my particualr setup and all, but....YMMV.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

If your going to the trouble to re install Windows, you might want to make the jump and go to XP Pro. Have
that on a number of computers with all sorts of Motorola RSS and have not had any issues. Have made a
number of RSS uprades and they all have gone in smooth.

Jim

oh2glg wrote:Sorry for the late return to this topic, but the problem itself still refuses to go away.
mr.syntrx wrote:What software is installed on the machine?

Well, maybe i would be easier just to re-install w2k from scratch and start all over again. I'd really hate doing that .. but then again, having a CPS that is more like virtual paper weight is not useful at all.
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

oh2glg wrote:Now CPS won't even start at all, the "specified file not found"-error comes right after clicking the CPS icon on my desktop.
This tells me the shortcut on the desktop is not pointed to the correct location. Right click on the shorcut and you should find "C:\Program files\Motorola\Astro Products\AStro Saber & XTS 3000\AstroPort.exe" in the target block. At the bottom of this window you should find a button marked "find target". If you select this does it go to the AstroPort.exe location or give you the same "file not found message"? If it gives the same message then go to the folder above and create a new shortcut. If you cannot find the folder above then search for the AstroPort.exe file and then create the shortcut. If that fails then uninstall the program using the uninstall on the cd. We all know that windows does not always remove all the files when using the add remove programs in control panel. It may be leaving the corrupted file/location behind.

Try to remove the program using the cd, then restart the computer and make sure everything is gone. If there are still remnants, like the shortcut, delete them all and restart the computer again. Once you think everything is gone then try to reload the software from the cd.

Hopefully this will work for you.
mustanglane

Post by mustanglane »

Been a while on this thread - anyone ever come up with a solution? I have two DELL Latitude Laptops running Win-7 that exhibit the same behavior. Yet, I also have numerous other Win-7 machines that run the software just fine. Remove/Reinstall, run in SAFE mode, nothing seems to help. It is faulting (per the event viewer) on finding the file RUI50C.DLL, in the COMMON Files folder, yet it is exactly there as it is in working machines. I'm out of ideas - multiple removals, reinstalls, and setting WIN Desktop theme to Classic windows, turning off User Access COntrols per the directions - no effect - yet it works on other laptops! Any ideas would be appreciated!
mustanglane

Post by mustanglane »

Forgot to specify - A/S, XTS3000 ver 5.03 on WIn-7
k9wkjham
New User

Post by k9wkjham »

ahh is the serial port there? or is the usb>serial dongle installed properly?
is anything else trying to use the serial port?
mustanglane

Post by mustanglane »

No serial port, and the USB/Serial adapter would not be installed at this point. Interesting thing is that the same software is working fine on three other models of laptops, running identical builds of WIN-7. One of those has a hardware serial port, while the other two utilize the USB/Serial adapter type of port. The "offending" laptops are both identical, Dell Latitude (6340 I think--) I'm beginning to think that there is other software that is causing a conflict.
Our "Agency" is about to take all of our laptops away, and place them under complete Admin control, thus removing our user's access rights - I dont think that will work at all, but, have no say in the matter - we'll see how all this develops.
Thanks
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Have you tried running it in Win XP compatibility mode? Right click the shortcut and select 'properties', you should see the compatibility mode tab.
mustanglane

Post by mustanglane »

Yep - even tried removal and reinstallation under the compatibility mode. We had installed both XTS3000 and Astro Spectra, plus both Astro 25 portable and mobile. They both worked, but neither of the older software would work. Even tried de-installation of everything, including folder removals, and registry hive removals - hope to try a complete new Win7 basic install and then try again -
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

mustanglane wrote:hope to try a complete new Win7 basic install and then try again -
First thing to do when you do the new Win7 install... turn off automatic updates.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”