XTL5000 dual radio conversion

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

IMBEJames

XTL5000 dual radio conversion

Post by IMBEJames »

I ran into a dual radio/single W3 head XTL5000 that the owner would like to convert to 2 singe radios with their own heads. Is this doable? The radios are a hi-power VHF and a mid-power UHF. Not sure of the firmware off the top of my head. And before I forget, I did a search on this but came up with nothing.

It looks like you can just disable the dual radio option in the radio wide > advanced II window, but I understand there are hardware differences as well. Is the interconnect the same for the single radio as it is for the dual radio?

Ultimately, we want to end up with 2 separate radios with w4 or w7 heads. I am reluctant to just swap parts... I really dont want to fry anything.
James Eslinger

York, Maine
akardam

Re: XTL5000 dual radio conversion

Post by akardam »

Well, there's no special hardware on the brick side for dual radio. However, since the W3 TIBs are electrically different than the W4-W9 TIBs, you'll have to swap them out. First, you'll want to disable the dual radio programming in each radio, then convert the head type in software, THEN change out the hardware.
IMBEJames

Re: XTL5000 dual radio conversion

Post by IMBEJames »

Sounds simple enough. Thanks!
James Eslinger

York, Maine

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”