Astro Sabers and CAI Trunking

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Renamon

Astro Sabers and CAI Trunking

Post by Renamon »

I have been given differing information so I ask you.

Can a 1 MEG, VHF Astro Saber with 9600 Baud in the flash work on a true, APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive trunking network?

Networks like:
--> Alaska Land Mobile Radio
--> Illinois Statewide Interoperability Radio System
--> Montana Statewide Interoperability Radio System
--> Wyoming Statewide Interoperability Radio System
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Astro Sabers and CAI Trunking

Post by Pj »

9600CC is the APCO25 Phase 1 flash, so yes. Of course it needs to have the proper firmware revision in it, so you can't really frankenflash it to do it, unless it happens to have the specific firmware in the radio. If you haven't read the older threads about this option in the pre-ASTRO25 radio line, you lose some conventional features due to the lack of available room to support it.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Only 800 mhz Astro Sabers/Spectras support 9600. Hack jobs can be done to make it appear a UHF or VHF is flashed for it but it will NOT work. Don't know the specifics as to why it won't work but it doesn't.

Jason
Renamon

Post by Renamon »

Alright, making sense now.

I was told that you cannot do 9600 CAI trunking on VHF, apparently she meant using VHF Astro Sabers, not VHF in general.

You can see my confusion and disbelief...
akardam

Post by akardam »

It would appear to be a CPS issue, on the face of it - there is no OBT ASTRO25 Control Channel tab, so there's nowhere for you to put in your VHF control channels.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”