XTS 1500

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

olderookie
What radios do you own?: APX6000, XTS5000, Astro Saber

XTS 1500

Post by olderookie »

Ok I am new to the P25 world just joined a new dept and we have an XTL2500 and spectras in the rest of the cars. I have been trying to take it all in and there is a lot.
I guess besides the Astro Saber what is the consensus on the XTS 1500? I am thinking I need the Koolaid since it is going to be something we can use, what is a less expensive option as I am seeing it is all a lot more pricey than conventional?

well trolling and hopefully learning!

I guess I should throuw the XTS 3000 in there too?
YouHF
New User

Re: XTS 1500

Post by YouHF »

I suppose it depends on your needs. First, P25 can mean two different things - P25 Common Air Interface (CAI) is digital voice (whether conventional or as voice channels in a trunking system), but people often confuse it with P25 trunking. Are you on a trunked system? if so, which one - XTL2500 and (Astro) Spectras can support Motorola Type II/IIi or potentially P25 trunking.

If you're just conventional, you could technically buy P25 CAI radios from any vendor. If you're using Motorola Type II/IIi trunking, you're limited to the Motorola or EFJ radios (but don't go buy an EFJ if it will be the first/only EFJ on a trunked system or your admin will hate you). P25 trunking, and...well...depends on the trunking system.

There are two generations of P25 enabled Motorolas:
Astro25: XTS1500/XTS2500/XTS5000 for portables, XTL1500/XTL2500/XTL5000 for mobiles
Astro: XTS3000 or Astro Saber for portables, Astro Spectra for mobiles

Either will work for P25 CAI. Both can do Type II or P25 trunking, however Astro series that do P25 trunking are not that common. Do some research before you buy since firmware versions, flashcodes, and Vocon size matter much with these.

XTS1500 is the basic P25 capable radio in the Astro25 series - so if you just need a few channels and no display, that will do fine. For around the same money you might be able to get an XTS3000 display model instead.

I think most here would consider the XTS1500 a step down from an Astro Saber (other than a M1 I suppose). XTS 2500/5000 or XTS3000 are way more popular with those that like radios.
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

Not exactly a step down from an Astro Saber. Here's the Model I.5, with a display but no front buttons. It's capable of 96 modes (channels) and all the goodies that come along with the Astro25 line such as alias-capable ID display and channel announcement...
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

YouHF
New User

Post by YouHF »

I didn't realize the XTS1500 came in M1.5 - I'm used to seeing
olderookie

Post by olderookie »

well for now we are just conventional digital and no crypto right now.

I am in the St Louis area and there is work progressing in the 800 P25 trunked area (not St Louis City) this new system when it comes online is supposed to comprise around 4 counties or more. the time frame for this is yet to be determined.

we have quite a few shortcomings, but I am working on them one step at a time.

the info is great any other opinions are welcome!!!

Oh I am looking at portables right now I should have specified?
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

are you using 800 conventional right now or another band? if your agency is planning the move to said 800MHz system, I wouldn't go shooting my wad on a radio that will be shelved in a couple of years.

Also worth considering is the XTS2500, they are not much more than the XTS1500, and are the same family of radios. The 2500 steps up to more channels (on the model II/III), encryption capability, and support for older legacy systems (type II 3600 baud CC). The XTS1500 IIRC, will only do one or the other, so if you have an older type II 3600 baud system (analog or digital) you'd need an XTS2500 with a specific flashcode.

They are great form factor radios. One other thing to mention, the XTS3000 and Astro Saber are at their end of life for support, parts and depot support are on the line, so I wouldn't go dropping tons of money one one. And the battery life plain sucks compared to the newer Astro 25 radios which are much more efficient with battery life. Not to mention they are still current products with full support from Motorola.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

Yup, as Erik has stated above, I'd just go with the XTS2500. More features, same form factor as the 1500, etc.

I also would not invest in a XTS3000, or Astro Saber (unless it was a GOOD, cheap buy !). They were fantastic radios for thier time, but the newer 2500, XTS5000, etc. are not only a current product, but can do many more features as well.

Also, you said your department has XTL2500's and Spectra's in the cars, what do they carry for thier issued portables ? I'd also talk with the systems admin. about programming you a radio up for use on the system as well.
olderookie

Post by olderookie »

We are on VHF conventional, we contract dispatching from a Muni very close to us.

I am looking for a "good cheap buy" due to the change that is supposed to happen.

And funny enough I am the systems admin for our dept. I am good with conventional, just no experience with P25 or trunking. I understand the concept just have no real world experience, and I know there is a whole lot to understand.

At one point the dept did have XTS2500's before I was present, I don't know where they went. We use Ht1000's now, they are good radios and preform well. I could not see changing the whole dept HT's unless I found a great deal. (keeping in mind in a few years we are switching).
I would replace a radio with a 1500 0r 2500 if we had to replace a radio.

I am a batlaber so you know even though it is not required I want it, the koolaid looks tasty.....
ssd
What radios do you own?: mts2000 mod 2 800mhz,as 3 vhf

Post by ssd »

i would just stay. with what you got. get some astros for back up ues. and then save up for the 800 trs. so you can get you a nice apx7000. the 8/7 vhf

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”