AES... yep, pretty secure.

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

AES... yep, pretty secure.

Post by batdude »

BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: AES... yep, pretty secure.

Post by Wowbagger »

You might read the article you link:

"...shows that finding the AES key is four times easier than previously believed."
"Even at one-fourth of the anticipated effort, breaking the AES key would still be a monumental, if not insurmountable, job. The researchers calculate that it would require a trillion machines that each could test a billion keys per second, running for more more than two billion years, to recover a 128-bit AES key. Current large-scale corporate computers could test at most 10 million keys per second."

Moreover, most P25 users using AES use a 256 bit key. That's not just twice as hard as a 128 bit key, that's 2^128 times harder (3.4*10^38).

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic (as in "Windows 7 server is the most secure Windows yet. Yep, pretty secure").

I've seen others on this board who didn't understand security and encryption (I loved the guy who told me I didn't know anything about the encryption the FBI uses - after all, I only provided the test solution for their AES radios!), and I misread your statement.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

In the P25 context, at least for most users, the cryptography doesn't realistically need to be particularly strong.

P25 is used mostly for tactical communications. The information conveyed in tactical communications is highly perishable; its value to an adversary diminishes in a very short period of time.

No cipher is or should be considered to be unbreakable. The message needs only remain secure long enough for the information to no longer be of use to the adversary, or for the adversary to decide that the effort in breaking the message cannot be justified given the nature information this effort would be expected to reveal.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

mr.syntrx wrote:In the P25 context, at least for most users, the cryptography doesn't realistically need to be particularly strong.

P25 is used mostly for tactical communications. The information conveyed in tactical communications is highly perishable; its value to an adversary diminishes in a very short period of time.

No cipher is or should be considered to be unbreakable. The message needs only remain secure long enough for the information to no longer be of use to the adversary, or for the adversary to decide that the effort in breaking the message cannot be justified given the nature information this effort would be expected to reveal.
THANK YOU!

I can't believe this story has gone as far as it has! We all know that the "super duper secret stuff" isn't transmitted on P25 and certainly doesn't use DES or AES. None of the so called news outlets or retweeters have pointed out that most of the people using P25 for communications couldn't even qualify for the most basic clearance, therefore couldn't really breach national security...
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”