Astro Saber Questions

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WCHija
What radios do you own?: XPR 7550 & XPR 5550

Astro Saber Questions

Post by WCHija »

I am new to working with Astro Sabers, so please bear with me.

1. Was there a low band Astro Saber ?
2. Is there such a thing as Fire fighter knobs like for the xts radios, for the Astro Sabers?
3. I picked up one of those AVA suitcase units that were on ebay recently. I cant get the hhch to work. Do I need a special flash or something?
4. What is the shortest battery? Where can I find it? I have tried looking up the M partnumbers, but there is so much cross referenceing that the same battery is listed under 3 and 4 different replacement part numbers.

Thank you in advance.
Semper Fidelis

Some Cops are Perfect, the rest ride in patrol cars!
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: Astro Saber Questions

Post by N4KVE »

Hi. The 2nd post in this section deals with the HHCH & Astro Saber. It's labeled "ASTRO SABER AVA & ASTRO HHCH. THE FACTS VS THE MYTH" started by Motorola Otaku. It deals with all the problems regarding this, & the very few people who actually have a working AVA, & HHCH. There was a mention of older f/w to allow the set up to work. I myself use my suitcase/AVA with an AS3 that has the latest f/w, so I use a Maxtrac mike. Great setup. As for batteries, I use an Alexander battery # H8251. From what I gathered from the article, a special mike adapter, & specific older f/w are necessary. Good luck to you. GARY N4KVE
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

1 No. VHF, UHF,800 only
2 No. standard and the low profile
3 Astro saber HHCH were a latrer firmware revision. Do you have an Astro AVA? there were tons of analog SVA's being passed off on ebay as astro.
4 Tomindc has a 2" one he uses from some aftermarket supplier I forget the name
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

FireCpt809 wrote:1 No. VHF, UHF,800 only
2 No. standard and the low profile
3 Astro saber HHCH were a latrer firmware revision. Do you have an Astro AVA? there were tons of analog SVA's being passed off on ebay as astro.
4 Tomindc has a 2" one he uses from some aftermarket supplier I forget the name
He has PM'd me & does have a 7737 AVA, but I wonder if he has the correct HHCH. GARY N4KVE
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The battery supplier is Cut Rate Batteries in, IIRC, Tennessee. It's a 2-inch. 1900 mAh, Lithium-Ion
battery for $76. It also has the side bump so it fits a Saber charger correctly. I'm
using five of them and I'd swear it's the same unit that Motorola sells for about $120. Nice
thing is it can sit on the shelf for months and when you turn it on it still has plenty of power,
so to me it's worth the money if only to eliminate the "surprise" factor when you need the radio.

http://www.cutratebatteries.com/battery ... s/M344L1-D

And, FWIW, and hoping not to add to the confusion,
The Standard Saber HHCH is a 6150
The Systems Saber HHCH is a 6169
The Astro Saber has a mobile charger, and the rumored-to-exist HHCH for it has been discussed on this Board
but I think that few have ever seen one.
Last edited by Tom in D.C. on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

If he picked up one of those suitcase repeaters on Ebay that I am thinking he got they were advertised as Astro however the pics clearely showed it has a HHCH for the saber or systems saber, not the Astro.

Jason
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

It is a NTN7227B SP03. The mic is a 6150A.
Semper Fidelis

N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

So the mike is for a Saber, but the convertacom is for the Astro Saber. They don't work together. I do use that mike with a correct SVA & a Saber, & it works well together as it's supposed to. Just use a Maxtrac mike & you will be fine. I have seen on Ebay where the suitcase is advertised as an Astro Saber convertacom, but it's really for a Saber. In my case I swapped the SVA for an AVA I had laying around. 2 minute swap. GARY N4KVE
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

an SVA wont work with an astro saber as the astro saber needs a pin on the connector to physically switch the antenna to an external source.
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The AVA (for Astro Sabers) MUST have a pin on that internal connection block that flips up when you turn the side knob to internally connect the radio, otherwise the external antenna will not be connected. I went back and re-read the verbiage on Batlabs.com on the particular subject but it has no mention of the antenna changeover button setup.
Tom in D.C.
d119

Post by d119 »

Tom in D.C. wrote: The Astro Saber has a mobile charger, and the rumored-to-exist HHCH for it has been discussed on this Board
Tom,

The ASTRO Saber convertacom is a full on unit just like the Saber/Systems Saber. It is _not_ just a mobile charger. It gives you speaker, microphone, etc.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

d119 wrote:
Tom in D.C. wrote: The Astro Saber has a mobile charger, and the rumored-to-exist HHCH for it has been discussed on this Board
Tom,

The ASTRO Saber convertacom is a full on unit just like the Saber/Systems Saber. It is _not_ just a mobile charger. It gives you speaker, microphone, etc.
Please make the AVA HHCH go away. I try to put that abomination out of my head. However, they did sell a very VERY SP Saber/Astro Saber drop in vehicular charger- but I can't find it for the life of me. It was identical to the Jedi one of the same vintage, but with a saber slot of course. Much nicer than the other SP one that was similar to the HT600 charger.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

d119 wrote:

Of course it is. If it was just a charger I wouldn't be writing about an HHCH for the unit. My choice of words in referring to it as a mobile charger was imprecise.
Tom in D.C.
d119

Post by d119 »

Tom in D.C. wrote:d119 wrote:

Of course it is. If it was just a charger I wouldn't be writing about an HHCH for the unit. My choice of words in referring to it as a mobile charger was imprecise.
no worries :)
WCHija

Post by WCHija »

So, anyone need a 6150A mic?
Semper Fidelis

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”