COM-120B options

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wowbagger
Aeroflex

COM-120B options

Post by Wowbagger »

Several of you have asked me if I could turn on options on your COM-120Bs.

I've always said the same thing: I will not jeopardize my job. There is no way ANY of you could pay me enough to do so. So the only way I would do anything like that would be if Aeroflex said it was OK - that Aeroflex no longer wanted to handle that and I was free to handle it myself.

Several of you have said "Well, I called, and they won't, so will you?"

I just talked to the head of world-wide service. He stated flat out that Aeroflex still does support optioning the COM-120B, and that if you want, call 1-800-835-2350 and they will be happy to sell you the options.

So, until that changes, that is that: NO, I will NOT turn on your options. You ain't worth my job.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
SirBruce
New User

Re: COM-120B options

Post by SirBruce »

As of today's date (5-21-2015) Cobham, who bought Aeroflex tells me they no longer have any documentation on the COM-120B, will not even take one in for repair and referred me to Cardinal Electronics in Chicago who don't have the codes either. Lori Cromwell, Sales & Service Administration Manager, Cobham AvComm, T : +1 (800) 835 2350 is the person who I communicated with. Her reply "Sorry, I wasn’t able to access records back that far." I then called the number I have used for years at what used to be IFR's service center and it was by the technician I talked to there that gave me the referral to Cardinal Electronics. I just called the 800 number above and left a message for customer service. This should be interesting. I've already paid for my codes which were included in the $11,000 I paid IFR for the instrument. I'll let you know what I found out.
SirBruce
New User

Post by SirBruce »

One other note, I own a small business with a limited budget. I purchase test equipment when I need it, and use it until it no longer fits my needs and then I budget another, more suited piece of equipment. I can only assume that since Cobham/Aeroflex will not support my com-120b, they aren't interested in small business money. Believe it or not, a company's willingness to support what it made as long as I need it, plays a HUGE part in my decision who gets my next order.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Yes, because Microsoft still supports Windows 95, you can still use your AMPS cell phone, you can still get your Zenith 26" CRT TV aligned by Zenith, etc.

The COM-120B came out a long time ago. Is it really fair to expect it to be serviced in perpetuity? And if you do have such an expectation, did you pay the price up front for that extended service? Or did you buy the equipment on the used market?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”